9

   I stare at him in shock. Without his wings, he looks a lot less scary. He looks broken and destroyed. I ask, coming to his side, “What happened to your wings?” He tenses and spins around. He has bright red eyes and a deep frown. Tears stain his face in the midnight lamplight. I heard a scream, and I was woken up by the animal control earlier. I figured I’d check up on him, despite Mezs’ strict warning. She said it wasn’t safe, but he doesn’t look too dangerous to me.

    He turns to me and replies, his tears streaming, “Toby cut my feathers. It’s gonna take w…” My rage boils and I push him back. He falls backwards like a tower of bricks.

    I snarl, “Oh sure. And the scars you gave him aren’t anything to cry over, right? The scratches and the gouges? Remember?” He stares at me from the ground, tears streaming. Confusion is all over his face. He gets up, tears streaming.    

    He unflurs the joints of his missing wings and roars, “Why did you come here?” I pause. I did have another reason for coming here. I was hoping the fight wasn’t true!  I didn’t think it was true.

    I stutter, “I… I wanted…” His rage boils over and he gets into my face.

    He roars so loud tears cloud me, “You wanted what? To see me in my fallen state? To see what that bastard did to me? Or you wanted to mock me more?” I back up, tears streaming. No. No. That isn’t right. I try to sort my mind out. I smell smoke, and he stares at me in shock. He backs up, tripping on a trashcan. He cusses and I think about what he said.  He roars, eyes angry, “Do it then. You called your fire, so do it.” I shake my head, falling to my knees. I cover my face, tears streaming. He growls, “What? Can’t you see it?” I shake my head, shaking. I hear Mez, thank goodness.

     She snarls, the sound of skin on skin echoing as she pulls me out, “Get away from that monster, baby.” That isn’t Mez. That’s Nick. Nick stares at the door with such malice, hugging me close. He looks at my hand and snarls “I’m so sorry. I’ll never let him near you again.” With that, darkness fills my blurry vision.

    I hear the sounds of a fight and open my eyes. I’m surrounded by ashes. I brush myself off and call, “Hello?” I see Nick rushing over, but a blur knocks him to the ground. He cries out and I get closer to the fight. I hear Bärchen cry, “Stop it!” He repels himself off the boy and runs his hands over his head. Tears run down his face as Nick lays on the ground, panting. Bruises cover him.

     Nick snarls, “YOU KILLED RICK AND ERI!” Bärchen steps back and cries openly with his hands in his hair.

     I wake up in my bed. At least, that’s what I thought at first. I look up and see a door. I knock on it, and something throws me off balance. I stretch behind me, but my hands stay against the door. I feel the resistance, and look back. I scream in shock. Bat wings…. Just kidding. My arms are just super sore. I see the door open, and the monster is there. He stares at me with exhaustion all over his face. His wings are featherless and limp by his side. The limbs drag on the ground, and I can see the trail of carnage behind him.  He groans, “Whut?”

     I mumble, “I don’t know.” He looks at me, and I look right back at him. I notice one earbud dangling down, the other in his ear. His phone rests in his waistband. He gives me a sad look and fixes his messy hair.

    He comments, “How did you get up here anyways?” I shrug,  I wish I knew how I ended up outside his door. He rolls his eyes and I realize I’m falling asleep. I can’t reply before my conscious mind dissolves. I hear a sigh, and something scoops me up. I rest in it, and I hear the sound of ice shifting around. I open my eyes and gasp.  Everything is black and white now? How did this happen?  I look at Bärchen, and realize he’s wide eyed too.