I storm out of the stable, confused. No one has ever made me feel so warm, so why is she any different? Leon grabs my tail, and I spin around. He calls, “Bärchen, what happened with the sand?” I growl and swish my tail. He sighs, “Bärchen, every dragon has an element. If you can control sand like that, we need your help.” I roll my eyes. I heard the same speech from the Constell general. We need you to fufill our ambitions and our paper documents so we don’t look stupid! I roll my eyes again and Leon asks, “Heard it before, huh?” I nod and keep walking. My wings flutter and I stretch them. Leon cries, desperate all over his tone, “WAIT! I know you hate Constell. They have declared war…”

    I spin around and roar, sending first years scuttling away, “WHAT? WHO SAID I WAS FROM Constell?” Leon steps back.

   He mumbles, playing with a rock using his foot, “Zvezda Mercuries are native to Constell. Constell is also the only realm with black sand.” I growl in fury and dig my claws into the pale dirt.

   I snarl, “Fi…” Suddenly, my mind goes into an aggitated haze. I fall to my knees. I feel my hands in my hair and my wings flair out. I feel them go limp and all my nerves light up like a Christmas tree. I feel my breath hitch, body shaking. I hear mumbled cries of alarm, but I can’t hear a word. Protect. Protect. Protect. Why is this happening? You failed! YOU FAILED! I look for the source. My wings try to stablize me, but just slice the earth like hyper knives. I hear Leon, but I fail to comprehend a word he’s saying. I stare into the dirt. Everything goes dark. I flap my wings in dismay, and struggle to see again. No one seems to hear my cries of alarm, that is, until someone pulls me back. I fall to my face and stare around the dungeon. Chantrea is hugging me with teary eyes. I whisper, “Wh....” I feel our connection deeper than ever. Why did she abandon me so? If there was a problem she should have let me know.

   She whispers through the tears, “I failed you.” I hug her close.

   I reply, “You had no part in this…”

   She sobs, “I got your true love kidnapped. They wouldn’t let me go until I did.” I stare at the wall in confusion. She’s my true love.

   I reply, “You are my true love.” She shakes her head “no”. How can this be? Who else can compare? Never mind surpass!

   She sobs, ripping my heart cut by cut, “I am not. That is why you have to let me go. You hold me here.” I feel myself breaking. My tears slide down my face and I try to undertand this. I did not put her here. I swear it! Bother, how do I end up in such situations?

   I whisper gesturing around, “I didn’t do this!”

    She wipes a tear away, and replies, “Indeed, you didn’t. But, you hold me to the realm. For better or for worse, you keep me alive. I did partially die that day. I used you to keep my heart going. My motive. Now, I need you to let me go.”

    I cry, “If I let go, you will perish!” My heart twists and beats against my chest. This cannot be, damn it! Why why why why why? I feel the tears run down my face and I feel my body shaking.

    She replies, calmly, “It’s okay. Just let me go.” HOW CAN SHE BE OKAY WITH THIS? I cannot let this pass. She replies, “Toby is coming back for you. Let me go so you and your love can go free!” YOU ARE MY LOVE.

    I reply, standing like a drunk, “No! You are my love. I cannot love another.”

    She pulls me down and whispers, crying so much it breaks me apart, “Bärchen, you great, great fool. Listen to me. Let me go. Now. Do it. My time is past now.” I feel my entire being inside shatter. I hear the glass heart breaking and tip my head. Tears run down my face in the dim dungeon that reeks of urine. I can’t keep her here. I have to set her free. I… I have no choice. I take her hand in mine, tears flowing faster.