Prologue

It was time. Starflicker's egg was hatching. Or at least she thought it was. She was anxious to see her first dragonet, and she hurried through the stone walls.

She wondered what her son would look like. Dark gray? Dark violet? Her scales ached with knowing. The mountain quaked and she almost fell over as she turned a corner, where she encountered Soulfleek, a friend of hers. "Is it time?" He asks as he rushed with her. Starflicker didn't tell many dragons about her offspring. Only mutual dragons and family members. She didn't want the whole tribe putting pressure on her and asking questions. "Yes," Starflicker responded. "My son is here! I'm sure of it!" And she's been "sure of it" for many months before. She would check the hatchery every week or so, saying that she was "sure" that her egg was hatching. But she was always disappointed when she sees that her egg never hatched at all. No, she thought. He is hatching. Today. I can feel it.

"Are you sure it's going to be a male dragonet?" Soulfleek questioned as he shuffled his wings. Irritated, Starflicker hissed at Soulfleek. "Yes, I am SURE my dragonet will be male! Now, for the three moons' sake, stop asking me questions!"

Soulfleek snorted. "Whatever," he says, before stopping and walking away. I'll apologize later, I guess, Starflicker thought as she soon entered the hatchery. She sped through the narrow pathways until she was in a dimly lit room. There was almost nothing in the room except a small passageway of red-gold lava in the back that heated the room which came from the walls. Nearest to the lava was an obsidian black egg in the center of an artful nest made out of dried mud, twigs and leaves. Starburst cracks marked the smooth curve of the shell, and Starflicker circled the egg, inhaling the scents around it. The egg suddenly rocked, and a long crack splintered across it. Starflicker panicked.

She wasn't sure about what to do. Was she supposed to help the dragonet crack the egg? Or wait for it to do it itself? Starflicker has never watched an egg hatch before, and she never bothered to ask what are you supposed to do with an hatching egg. Starflicker crouched down and softly wrapped her talons around the eggshell. The shell immediately shattered into thousands of pieces, showering the ground with eggshells. Between Starflicker's claws, blinking, was a tiny dark gray dragonet. "Oh, moons'!" Starflicker gasped. The dragonet looked up at his mother and her wings towering over him. He squeaked, standing up and shaking himself off. He unfurled his own wings, and the underside were a gray-green color. He's perfect, anyway. Even if he has some green to him. The dragonet's scales gleamed as if though they'd been polished; his claws were miniature curved crescents; his tail was the most perfect and ideal tail she's ever seen.

Starflicker wished she could share this moment with the dragonet's father, but he died just about a year ago, during a small attack caused by the SandWings

Starflicker wished she could share this moment with the dragonet's father, but he died just about a year ago, during a small attack caused by the SandWings. Starflicker brushed away tears, trying to focus. "Hmm. What should I name you, little one?" Starflicker spoke to her son. The dragonet squealed, flapping his wings as he tried to fly away. "A special dragonet like you needs a special name!"

Starflicker pondered, stroking her son's head as she thought of a name. "Gavin," she murmured to herself. A soft smile formed on her face. "I'm going to call you Gavin, little one."

Gavin squeaked and leaned into her mother's soft, warm underbelly. Starflicker carried her son out of the hatchery, announcing that her son had finally came. She yelled at the top of her lungs, saying, "my son! My son has arrived!