Chapter 1

There are some things you just can't forget. Things that haunt you awake or asleep. I think that's why I decided to become a hero. I couldn't forget the image of my real father's face that day.

We look exactly alike, my real father and I. My adoptive family's singular looks don't match mine in the slightest. They all have chocolatey brown hair, while my pale lime green hair stands out. If I were still with father, we'd look exactly alike.

"You want to be a hero?"

"Yes."

My adoptive father's kind face regards me quietly. He's always supported me, though I haven't made many big decisions like this one before. I notice, not for the first time, the soft beginnings of wrinkles around his mauve eyes. Laughing wrinkles. He smiles at me after a moment.

"Alright. I'll see what I can do."

No, he won't just see what he can do. He'll do everything possible to ensure me a spot in some hero academy somewhere, because he's the only one in this family who knows where I'm really from. The second he smiled, I knew my wish would become reality. Now all I had to do was work as hard as I could to achieve my goals. I thank him as sincerely as possible, then quickly exit the room to hide my likely obvious relief. My adoptive father doesn't like violence, so I was expecting some resistance.

At least... now I can truly say I have a goal, a purpose for my life.

Would it make you happy, Papa?

~

My first day at U.A High.... I was beyond nervous. I'd gotten in on a recommendation, so I was somewhat afraid I'd be an outcast among my classmates. Frankly, it wouldn't be the first time. For now, though, I had to bypass the horde of reporters harassing everyone who tried to pass through to the school.

I take a deep breath before walking as calmly as possible towards the entrance while the reporters are somewhat busy. I only make it partway by before I'm stopped by a young woman who appears a little too nosy.

"Excuse me- oh. You're the adopted son of the Hisaragi family, aren't you? Tell me, how do you feel about having All Might as a teacher?!"

All Might is teaching here? Oh boy... I might be facing a difficult year... I smile at her patiently.

"Oh, I didn't realize he was teaching! Now I'm sure I'll get the absolute best education!"

She gives me a bit of an odd look, to which I simply excuse myself. A few moments later and I'm out of the crowd... and through those gates. Now only faced with the other students scrabbling in through the voracious crowd, I find myself a lot more nervous than I was in the crowd. I take a deep breath before walking inside, marveling at my surroundings. U.A. Is a beautiful school, both inside and out. Not to mention I haven't seen other people around my age since I was in grade school... And it didn't go well then.

Alright, let's see here... I pull my letter of acceptance out of my pocket, glancing over it before finding the information I'm searching for. Class 1-A. I put the letter away as I start walking towards the classroom. I memorized the layout of the school before today, just so I would know where to go today. Of course, I could only remember a portion of that, but thankfully I did remember where the classrooms were. My walk turns into more of an excited jog as I make the final turn, the sign coming into view.

Not that it's hard to miss, given the giant door with the number one on it... the door is already open, so I walk in with a cautious mind. There aren't too many already in here, which is comforting. I glance over the seating chart in the corner of the board, then make my way over to my seat. Seat 21... is sort of awkwardly shoved behind the back row. Lovely. I'm isolated from the start. My seat is behind a very poised girl, one I recognize instantly from a few meetings between our families. She notices me and immediately smiles.

"Takenada-kun! I wasn't expecting to see you here!"

"Hello Yaoyorozu. How's your mother doing?"

"She's fine. A bit swamped with the new business law in place, but it's all coming through. What brings you here? I mean, I wasn't really expecting you to want to be a hero, since... Oh! I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that."

"It's fine. I don't think anyone expected me to decide this. Actually, I wasn't really expecting it myself... but it just sort of hit me one day. I have such a powerful Quirk that's associated with a negativity. Why not use it for something better and change the way people look at me."

She beams. Always the mother hen, taking pride in others around her. I envy that. I don't know her that well, but she's the only one in here I can say that I know at all. Better than nothing I guess.

"Here, I'll introduce you to some of the others at lunch, okay?"

"Alright."

The classroom has filled out more in the short duration we've been talking. I settle in my seat, an icky feeling accompanying the sight of everyone else in front of me. Isolation is my greatest weakness. The next thing I know, gym uniforms are being handed out and we're directed down a training field. I enter the locker room with the other guys, not entirely pleased to have to be near others while changing. At least everyone is so scrambled from the suddenness that I can change without any fuss.

Though my body is no stranger than anybody else's here... I glance over at the guy closest to me as I close my locker, a bit startled by the sight I briefly see as he puts his gym shirt on. The kid is muscularly athletic, but... small. He looks almost helpless with his expression and overall aura, but his body shows quite a bit of training. Actually, he looks nervous... like, pukey nervous. Since he appears ready, I bump him on the shoulder. He looks up at me, startled. I gesture towards the door with a small jerk of my head, the locker room mostly empty by now.

"Come on, rabbit."

He follows me out onto the field, though he doesn't seem to question the name. He's probably too wound up to care right now. One of those chronic worriers I guess... I turn my attention back to the very worn out looking man in front of us, only to find some of my classmates exclaiming his words loudly.

"Quirk assessment test?!"

Wow, such surprise. Yes, I understand we're missing orientation, but did they not expect this? They need a baseline of our abilities, to make sure we get the special attention we need. Or... individual... stuff?

Where is my brain going? I don't know. I'm hungry now. When's lunch?