Chapter 5

I couldn't stop it.

The thick silvery substance spewed from my mouth, splattering on the bathroom floor. I coughed repeatedly, trying to clear my airway unsuccessfully as another wave of it splatters onto the floor.

Small footsteps pattered down the hallway, and I could hear the door behind me open. Hiiro. I could hear him instantly start running back down the hallway as he shrieked for our adoptive mother. Too young to understand. Mom walks calmly, from the slower sound of her feet, and enters the bathroom without much fuss.

"Here, shift."

She pushes me towards the bathtub, and at her words I slip into father form. Another wave of thick silver makes its way out of my body, but this time she helps clear my airway with her hands. My body is burning, slightly stronger than a fever, but the cool touch of Hiiro as he hugs me from the side is calming. Another wave, larger than the others, and a feeling of emptiness. Mom helps clear my airway and lets me cough the rest out, getting up and washing her hands.

"Hiiro, go get me my phone. I need to call him out of school for today."

The moment he goes to move, an instinct I cannot control kicks in. I whirl my head around, closing my jaws on his shoulder with a snarl. It's gentle. It doesn't even hurt him even though my teeth are out, and he smiles as he kisses my furred cheek. Mom is a lot more startled, but let's out a slow sigh.

"Okay, I'll get it myself then. Hiiro, stay with your brother."

She leaves, but I don't move. There's a part of me ingrained so deeply into my core that I have utterly no control over it. Especially in this form. I have to covet and protect anything smaller and either visually or actually weaker than me. That's why I bared my fangs over Bakugou bothering Rabbit. That's why I'm doing this. I can't control it at all...

"Makkun, don't cry! I'll stay with you, promise!"

Hiiro coaxes my jaws open, pushing my face away. Pain lances through my body, but it's not from him. Once my mouth is closed and not on him, he hugs my long furry face to his chest and showers me with kisses. Hiiro is extremely affectionate, and in Japan where most people are not, it's conveyed as him being very very strange. But I like it. It helps calm me down.

"Mom!"

She comes back instantly, probably only just around the corner. Her phone is in her hand, and I can see her thumb covering over the call button.

"I'm going."

"Matsu, that's a horrible idea. You're not-"

"I want to go."

Hiiro lets go of my face, and lift it to look my adoptive mother in the face.

"Please."

She sighs heavily, and sets her phone down on the counter. I know I've won. I shut off my quirk, a deep ache in my muscles groaning as I stand up. I pick Hiiro up, letting him nuzzle his face into my collarbone. Mom gently grabs my face in her warm hands, and smiles wearily at me.

"Please be careful. You're very weak right now."

I don't say anything. She knows I can't. I can't promise her nothing will happen, because I can't control other people.

"I need to get ready."

"Mhm. Come on, Hiiro. Let your brother be."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Good morning, Takenaka-kun!"

"Good morning, Midoriya."

Is this okay? Is it alright for me to be selfish and come to school in a state like this just to see that smile?

"You look pale... are you feeling alright?"

"I'm a little under the weather, but I'm fine. Didn't want to miss class, and I've already seen the nurse."

Didn't want to miss my chance at seeing that smile. I want to be his friend. I want to always be able to just turn and say hello and have that joyful face beam back at me.

"Well, make sure you take care of yourself. Ah, I should get back to my seat..."

"Mm."

I watch him go, but Yaoyorozu turning in her seat with an interesting smile on her face captures my attention.

"I ship it."

"Ship what? I didn't order anything."

"No, not a package, silly. I think you'd make a good pair. Vying for him?"

"Vying? I want to be his friend."

"Is that all?"

I'm about to ask what she means, but the teacher, Aizawa-sensei, begins class. I stare at the back of her head with a frown, churning  her words around. 'Is that all?' What does that mean? I want to be his friend and see that happy smile.

That and nothing else?

I... don't know? What is 'else'? Aren't your friends supposed to be people you enjoy being around? Then what's the difference?

I want to be his friend. I want to be someone he  smiles for. So... I want to be special, I guess.

Does that answer your question, Yaoyorozu? I can only wonder.