Chapter 25 a little peace of mind

Standing in front of the gleaming white door I folded my arms across my chest and stared at the group of people in front of me, refusing to move an inch until I get some answers. Lynette sighed next to me and the clipboard woman, whose name is Heather started crossing and scribbling furiously, no doubt trying to rearrange the schedule now that Lynette was running late, again.

“Abigail, please be reasonable.” Lynette said, casting a glance at the two lab-coats clade people next to us; those two doctors were whispering furiously with each other and I grimaced. They both appeared to be in their forties, the man was called Dr. Hobbs and the woman Dr. Evans. Almost as soon as we had arrived these two doctors introduced themselves and began pouncing on me; then the lot of them herded me over here, on the while shielding me from everyone else passing by. I was tired of being treated like a new toy that might explode, so now here I was taking a stand demanding them tell me everything I wanted to know before I agree to any of these tests.

“If I am not reasonable, I wouldn’t even be standing here right now.” I said, shifting my weight from one foot to another. “I just want some answers and if I don’t get them I am not going to do anything.” I deadpanned.

“Fine, but one question and we are going in.” Lynette warned and I did a triumphant dance inside my head. This meant that these tests are very important and it’s something that I could leverage for more answers.

“Where are my friends now?” I asked, Tom’s face foremost in my mind. I hoped that wherever he was he would be alright, knowing him he was probably trying to find out where I was but even I didn’t have a clue myself.

“They are safe.” Lynette said and I raised my eyebrow at her. Seriously, did she think that I would just let it slide with that? “They are now transferred to Almaty Citybase north-west of Himalayas. They would be given a temporary post there until they decide for themselves what they want to do.”

Almaty… I have absolutely no idea where that is. Sighing internally I hoped Tom would not be stupid and do something irrational that would drag him further away from me. Our future together was hard enough as it was.

Entering those annoying white doors I was pushed down an equally gleaming white corridor. There were doors either side that was set equidistant from one another and I felt a little sick wondering if there were people locked up in there. I had to remind myself that Lynette had promised that experiments on POE and human are only conducted on a voluntary basis in de Silver family.

“Please come in.” One of the doctors said, waving me into a room that looked nothing like what I expected. Despite the beeping monitors and machines set on desks, the place was actually lined with dark brown bricks with several gym equipment and weights set on the other end. The female doctor immediately sat down in front of a computer and began tapping away whilst the rest settled down on several old leather armchairs scattered a small distance from the machines.

 Sitting down too, I crossed my arms and waited for the doctor to say something. They were busy typing into one of the computer and another one was jotting down something on a clipboard.

“Miss Abigail.” Dr. Evans came towards me with the clipboard and asked me a few basic questions and slowly dived deeper, basically making me retell my life story. Despite the fact that I had already told Lynette the whole story, she was sitting next to us listening attentively as well.

I tried not to get too agitated as they made me recount every single every single detail in my life. All the while in my mind I was trying to gauge how many questions I could get away with asking this time.

“You are saying that you learned how to control your power on your own?” Dr. Evans asked, and I could see Dr. Hobbs’ back tensed in his position in front of the computer. I cocked my head to the side and considered it in my mind.