fourteen.

CHAPTER FOURTEEN:
TAPE ONE

excerpt of CONSULTATION between DR SAMUEL OWENS and
THOMAS MIRKWOOD
Monday 15th November 1983

DR OWENS:
          Hello, THIRTEEN. That's what you go by now, isn't it? My name's Dr Owens and it is an absolute pleasure to meet you. I've heard a lot about you and I'm so happy to finally see you in person.

THOMAS:
          [quietly] Where is Hopper?

DR OWENS:
          He's just in the waiting room outside. Don't worry, THIRTEEN.
          [pause]
          You're a very brave kid, coming back here. Not only that. Everything you've been through . . . Your courage is rather admirable. But I must reassure you: the people who hurt you here have all been found and punished appropriately.

THOMAS:
          You lie.

DR OWENS:
          [small laugh]
          THIRTEEN. I know I can't convince you to trust me, especially after all you've been through at the hands of the people I work with, but again I must assure you . . . The people who hurt you? They're not around anymore. I won't hurt you. What Dr Brenner did was despicable — it wasn't science, it was playing God, and I wouldn't think of doing such a thing.

THOMAS:
          God? What is a God?

DR OWENS:
         [small laugh]
         Maybe we should save that discussion for another time. It would be a very long conversation.

THOMAS:
        No. there is no other times.
        [pause]
        So who are you, then?

DR OWENS:
          A doctor, just like Dr Brenner. But I'm here to look after you, not hurt —

THOMAS:
          Bullshit.

DR OWENS:
           [small laugh] Why, you really —

THOMAS:
          Doctors killed ELEVEN. Doctors hurt us. Doctors are not here to 'look after' anybody.

DR OWENS:
          THIRTEEN, I can assure you that I am not a doctor like the doctors you once knew. Those people, they weren't doctors at all! They were criminals. I promise you, THIRTEEN, I am here to take care of you. I am here to help you. You have been through a terrible ordeal, and I want to make sure it ends.

THOMAS:
         [sighs]
         What's that file?

DR OWENS:
          This? Well, this is — well, would it be crude to say it is an apology? I suppose it is an apology of sorts. THIRTEEN, do you want me to tell you what your real name is? Because in this file, it tells me.

THOMAS:
          [sliding of paper across desk]

DR OWENS:
          I see you're very practiced with your gifts, THIRTEEN.

THOMAS:
         Thanks to you and your liars. Your Doctors.

DR OWENS:
         [small laugh] They didn't tell me you were sarcastic. You've been spending too much time with the Chief. Now, go on. Open it.

THOMAS:
         [crinkle of pages]
         [pause]
         [sliding of paper across desk]
          You'll have to read it to me. I'm not very good at reading yet.

DR OWENS:
          Okay, that's fine. Well, it says here that your real name, THIRTEEN, is Thomas Mirkwood. You are sixteen years old and were brought here in May 1973 at the age of six when you accidentally, according to this, flipped a car when your parents were about to crash in a car accident. Unfortunately, your parents are now dead — your mother killed when she attempted to help you on the day of your arrest, and your father died of a heart attack three years ago. You have telekinetic abilities, as well as the ability to manipulate psionic energy — both things you were born with but were gradually enhanced throughout your years here.

THOMAS:
You sound very interested in that. More tests?

DR OWENS:
More tests? For you? No! Of course not.

THOMAS:
So why am I here?

DR OWENS:
[clears throat]
[clothes shift]
It's important to us that you fully understand the circumstances we are in, THIRTEEN—

THOMAS:
Thomas. You just said my name is Thomas. I'm not a subject anymore, and you will call me that. Thomas Mirkwood.

DR OWENS:
Yes, sorry. Thomas. It's important that you understand, Thomas, that if we are going to let you go, you need to have full control over your abilities and you cannot, under any circumstances, let them out in public. We know here that you have a history for such things, and that history must remain just that: history.

THOMAS:
Anything.

DR OWENS:
Now, anything won't be necessary —

THOMAS:
No. I promise. Anything. I will do anything, as long as I don't come back here.

Author's Note:
Double update?
Ahaha no, lets make it a triple ;;)