fifteen.

CHAPTER FIFTEEN:
TAPE TWO

excerpt of CONSULTATION between DR SAMUEL OWENS and
THOMAS MIRKWOOD
Tuesday 16th November 1983

THOMAS:
          You gave me sleeping pills. I don't want to take them.

DR HARVEY:
          Why not?

THOMAS:
          I don't know.

DR OWENS:
          Are you afraid to sleep? Nightmares . . . ?

THOMAS:
         No.

DR OWENS:
          Are you scared of us? Don't trust what we give you?

THOMAS:
          No.

DR OWENS:
          You're safe now, Thomas. It was not your fault what happened to you, and the people who did hurt you, they're all gone now. Your friend Chief Hopper will look after you — and I believe you're in the hands of Joyce Byers now, eh? I'm sure she'll take care of you very well. So, even though you don't trust me, trust somebody, and take the pills. You look tired.

THOMAS:
          Maybe.

DR OWENS:
          Maybe you'll take the pills?

THOMAS:
          That's what I said.

DR OWENS:
          [soft laugh]
          Gosh, you certainly are developing a great personality, Thomas — oh! I noticed something this morning.

THOMAS:
          Yes?

DR OWENS:
          Joyce, when she dropped you off, called you THIRTEEN. Have you not told your friends and family about your real name?

THOMAS:
          Yes. But they call my THIRTEEN.

DR OWENS:
          You don't have a problem with that?

THOMAS:
          No, because they're my friends. It is my name. But you are a doctor, so you're not allowed to use it. Too much like . . .

DR OWENS:
          Dr Brenner?

THOMAS:
          [quietly] Yes.

DR OWENS:
          That's okay, Thomas. I understand.
          [pause]
          So. Is there anybody you've made friends with? I hear Joyce has a son your age . . . Jonathan, is it? And Hopper tells me Nancy Wheeler has been starting to teach you to read and write — though, if you deem it necessary, we could find and fund a private tutor to teach you.

THOMAS:
          [hesitantly] No tutor. Nancy is fine.

DR OWENS:
          I know I've filled Chief Hopper and Joyce Byers in on what happened to you in your years spent here, but have you spoken to anybody about it? About your feelings?

THOMAS:
          ELEVEN.

DR OWENS:
          No. No, Thomas, I mean . . . I mean recently. Since everything with the monster ended.

THOMAS:
          . . . No.

DR OWENS:
          Do you not want to talk to anybody about it? It might be good for your health, to confess your feelings, release the burden on your shoulders. Is there anyone you could talk to? A friend, maybe? Jonathan?

THOMAS:
          I don't have friends. Jonathan has Nancy, and Nancy has Steve.

DR OWENS:
          Steve?
          [shuffling of paper]
          Oh. Yes. Steve Harrington. I often forget about him.

THOMAS:
          Yes. He is very forgettable.

DR OWENS:
          [small laugh]
          I take it you don't like this Steve.

THOMAS:
          Annoying. Whiny.

DR OWENS:
          He helped kill the monster, I believe. Don't you think that warrants a little bit of respect? He's clearly a brave kid.

THOMAS:
          [hesitantly; quietly] Maybe. I will believe it when I see it.

DR OWENS:
          Give it time, Thomas.
          [pause]
          Steve or no Steve, I'm sure you'll make some friends.