seventeen.

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN:
TAPE FOUR

excerpt of CONSULTATION between DR SAMUEL OWENS and
THOMAS MIRKWOOD
Thursday 18th November 1983

DR OWENS:
Hello, Thomas. How are you? I'm sure you're well, now that you know about the deal your friend Hopper has signed.

THOMAS:
Yes.

DR OWENS:
Now, I must make one thing very clear about your life after this. I know I've said it before, but you must remember.

THOMAS:
I remember. I am not allowed to tell people.

DR OWENS:
Yes, that's right, Thomas. You're welcome to live a normal life from here on out, but we must make it known that nobody can know about your abilities. Even the woman you marry must not know about this, no matter what.

THOMAS:
I . . . I don't understand.

DR OWENS:
What don't you understand?

THOMAS:
Friends don't lie.

DR OWENS:
Now, that isn't true. Sometimes, friends have to lie. Maybe to help people, or to be kind . . . Surely, you understand that?

THOMAS:
Slightly.

DR OWENS:
With time, you will come to understand it. It's called a white lie. A lie to help someone.

THOMAS:
How does lying . . . Help?

DR OWENS:
Because . . . Well, in this situation, it . . . It is essential that this stays between us. Yes, the case of this lab and its acts are individual to this lab, but if the public discovers the corruption within the government, it will spark a controversy we, as the government itself, will never put to rest. Do you understand that, Thomas?

THOMAS:
I . . . I think so.

DR OWENS:
I need better than that, Thomas.

THOMAS:
[pause]
Yes. I understand

DR OWENS:
I'm glad. I didn't want to have to . . . Take desperate measures.

THOMAS:
And ELEVEN?

DR OWENS:
What about her?

THOMAS:
Her funeral.

DR OWENS:
[pause]
Thomas . . .
[sigh]
We can't risk having a funeral for ELEVEN. We never found her body, so we would have nothing to bury anyway, and it's important that we leave as little traces as possible when it comes to your combined escape and your gifts. I believe you have been made false papers including real details about yourself, though with a false path — correct?

THOMAS:
Yes, sir.

DR OWENS:
[pause]
[sigh]
I'm sorry. I truly am. I know you must miss her greatly, and a funeral is a great way to mourn her and say goodbye, but it's . . . It's impossible. The girl was a ghost even when she was alive.

THOMAS:
[pause]
[words catching in throat] I understand. May I go home now?

DR OWENS:
You may. Goodbye, Thomas.

Author's Note:
I feel like this whole part was irrelevant and unnecessary, but showing thirteen's grieving process was important to me, and I knew the deal for the lab to leave THIRTEEN alone couldn't just come out of nowhere and there had to be a build up to it — so here, we have this!

Tbh, I'm thinking of creating a new book for season two and ending this book here. This book has always been about thirteen escaping the lab, discovering friends and a home, realising what he has done with the gate and coming to terms with it — and all of that is over. I think it's more appropriate that I make a new book for season two, but I dunno what to call it ?? Any suggestions ??

Btw, if I do create a new book, this is the last chapter :)

Also, VERY IMPORTANT (lol not really), would you guys prefer me to call thirteen THIRTEEN or Thomas in the next part, seeing as he goes by both. I have an idea for this, but I'm not completely sure if it would work. And she I don't mean what he will call himself, I mean in the narrative. Like would you want it to be "THIRTEEN smiles" or "Thomas smiled"??