Chapter One

She won. Of course she did. She always does. I didn't even place, didn't even make the top fifteen. My gelding, Starr Symphoni, pulled a rail at the second fence. That would never happen to her. Her precious, perfect little mare, Baby Bleu, would never do that. With a huff, I turn away from the six smiling riders in the ring. I do, after all, have my own horse to take care of. Isabelle's smiling face is burned into my retinas, making me grit my teeth in frustration. Why is she always better than me? I ride five days a week, watch all the top riders give clinics on YouTube. It's not like Starr and I are underprepared.

My mom is waiting for me back at the barn. "Better luck next time, Sweetheart." I roll my eyes and don't bother replying. I'm often under the impression that she has no idea what's going on. See, I don't exactly come from a horsey family. Maybe that's the difference. Isabelle's mom was a champion dressage rider in her time. Starr's big bay face snaps me out of my self-pitying thoughts.

"Hey there, Big Guy." I coo, running my hand fondly over the large white marking between his eyes.

   "Other than that one fence you both did beautifully. I have the whole thing on video for you." I offer my mom a taught smile.

   "Thanks. I'll watch it later." I see her nod in my peripheral vision as I step into Starr's stall. Dried sweat marks show on his sides from his saddle and girth, making me frown slightly. Like I said, non-horsey family.

"Hey, mom!" I call. She pokes her head over the stall door expectantly. "I thought I told you to look after Starr while I stayed at the ring." She nods, confused.

   "I did." I look from my horse back to my mom.

   "That kind of includes brushing him." I groan, running a hand through my short hair.

   "Oh, sorry. I can do it now if you like." She offers. I brush her off with a wave of my hand.

   "Doesn't matter. I'm here now." She backs away as I slide the stall door open, hooking the stall guard up across the opening. Always the curious one, Starr follows me as far as he can go, perking his ears up as he looks around. Grabbing my brush and curry comb, I turn just in time to see Starr whinny at an approaching horse. The dark grey head adorned with a wide, white blaze is impossible to miss.

   "Hey, Abigail." Isabelle greets as she and her mare get closer. Starr reaches out to say hello. 'Traitor.' I mentally scold him.

   "Hi." I reply stonily. I watch with satisfaction as Isabelle's glowing smile fades slightly.

   "Oh, Abby, do be nice!" My mother interrupts. I scowl and go back to my horse. "Congratulations on your win, Dear. Very beautiful round!" I roll my eyes at my mother's choice of words. She said the exact same thing about my round too.

   "Oh, thank you, Mrs. Forestor. Abby did very well too." I cringe slightly at the sound of my nickname rolling so easily off of her tongue. "Anyway, just thought I'd stop and say hi. I've got to get Bleu here back to her stall." I glance up briefly to find her looking at me, almost hopefully.

   "Yup, bye." I say, tersely. She looks down at her feet.

   "Bye." She mumbles before gripping her reins a little tighter and leading her own sweaty horse away from us. I watch them make their way carefully down the aisle for a moment before focusing back on my own horse. He stomps a hind leg in annoyance as I brush a little too aggressively.

   "Sorry." I mumble, reaching up to rub his neck. He snorts his forgiveness, and goes back to resting a hind leg.

   "That was very rube, Abby. I don't understand why you and Miss Kooper don't get along." I glance over at my mother, who is now hovering near the stall door.