Chapter Twenty

My mom agrees to drive me to my lesson Monday night. She doesn't say much on the drive to the stable, just keeps sending me amused glances. I can't blame her, really. My body is humming with so much energy that I can't seem to sit still. Whether it's excited energy or nervous energy, I'm not even sure. All I know is that this feeling is uncannily familiar to the feeling I get before I go into the show ring with Starr. It's intoxicating and exhilarating and I love it. Nothing except my horse has ever made me feel like this. To be honest, it's a little intimidating too.

"Do you know where you're going tonight?" My mom asks, breaking into my thoughts. I shake my head.

   "No. She said that she wanted it to be a surprise." I shrug, looking away as my mom smiles fondly. I know she wants to talk about it, but she's leaving it alone. Despite the fact that I've mostly accepted that this is who I am, and the fact that my mom is 100% okay with it, I still find talking about it a little uncomfortable. Honestly, I would be acting the same if I was going on a date with a boy instead. Still, I appreciate immensely that she's respecting my feelings.

I'm pulled out of my thoughts once again as we pull into the Coven Valley driveway. The view is slowly becoming more familiar to me. The large barn looming at the end of the driveway is starting to feel more like home. The ache in my chest at losing Jo is slowly but surely going away. I'll always miss Jo, that kinda goes without saying, but it's nice that the sharp sting of her departure is leaving. Now I can look back at all the memories I made with Double Standards with a smile instead of a bitter taste in my mouth.

We pull up beside Dani's car. As we slow to a stop, I see Dani slowly leading Iconic toward the barn. She waves and I return it before climbing out of mom's car. I open the back passenger door and grab my backpack that I usually use at horse shows to bring show essentials down to the ring. Now, however, it is stuffed with my clothes for tonight. Well, not literally stuffed. I did fold them and place them in nicely. I'm not an animal.

"Hey, Abby!" Dani calls as she gets closer. I wave, then gesture to her car.

   "No mom today?" I watch with an amused look as Dani rolls her eyes and laughs.

   "No. She recently found a soap opera on Netflix that she got caught up on and found out airs new episodes on TV on Monday nights." She explains with a shrug like 'what can you do?'. I laugh too. That definitely sounds like Dani's mom, bless her heart.

"You excited for tonight?" She asks as I fall into step beside her. I flush bright red but nod bashfully.

   "Yeah. I am. Thanks for your help last night." She reaches up and rubs my shoulder.

   "No problem. What are friends for, right?" She giggles before adding, "Now you just owe me a double date." My eyes widen and I stumble over my own feet for a stride before catching myself. Dani laughs as I glare at her.

   "You suck." I declare and she rolls her eyes.

   "Yeah, yeah. Whatever. Go get your horse before you're late." She chuckles. I grudgingly do as she says, leaving her and Iconic at the closest cross-ties as I move to the tack room.

As I enter, I glance quickly at Isabelle's locker and see that it's still closed and locked. She's not here yet. I try to relax as I grab Starr's halter and leave, making my way back down the barn aisle to the main door. As I'm stepping out, Isabelle pulls up in her car. Her mother follows close behind, parking beside her. Isabelle has a scowl on her face as she gets out of her car, but it melts away slightly as she catches sight of me.

   "Hey. You okay?" I ask. She huffs slightly in annoyance as she throws a quick, dirty look at her mother's own car over her shoulder. She has yet to leave her SUV.