Chapter Twelve

I'm snapped out of my thoughts by Adam's hand waving in front of my face. "Girl, if you need to leave, just go. It's only five minutes early." I turn my gaze from the clock on the wall to my best friends face. "I'm sorry, Adam. It's my first lesson at the new place tonight and I guess I'm a little anxious." Adam gives me a sympathetic smile before pulling me into a brief hug. "I know, Sweetie, that's why you can go." I hug him one more time as I mumble a "thank you" before letting go and rushing to the back to grab my purse and car keys.

   I shoot Adam a smile as I head for the door, lifting my hand in a wave as I slip outside. Monday's usually just suck in general, but today seemed to crawl by. Seconds felt like minutes, and minutes felt like hours. I meant what I said. I did feel anxious about my first lesson with Madison, but that wasn't the whole reason. I'm also anxious to see Isabelle again. I know what Dani would say if she heard my thoughts, but she's wrong. I'm not anxious to see her again because I like her. I'm anxious because it'll be the first time that I've spent more than a few minutes around her.

   We got off the wrong foot, and I will admit that I'm the reason behind that, but I'm determined to make things right. She really does just look like she needs a friend. Or at least an ally against her mother. I'm momentarily pulled from my thoughts as I unlock my car and slide into the drivers seat. It once again sputters to life as I turn the key in the ignition, but thankfully today is not the inevitable day that it simply decides to die on me. Leaving the radio playing, I buckle up then reverse out of my parking spot before putting it in drive and making my way home.

   To my surprise, neither of my parents are home when I get there. Okay, well it's not a surprise that my father isn't home, but I figured that my mom would be. Moral support at my first lesson in a new place, and all. I guess not. I climb out of my car after parking it along the curb out front and make my way up to the front door. The lock slides back as I turn the key, swinging open easily as I turn the knob and push. I hurry to the kitchen to deposit my lunch bag on the counter, then make my way up the stairs and to my bedroom. Once there, I quickly strip and change into my riding clothes, picking my lightest since it's been a very warm today. As I make my way down the hall, I pop into the bathroom to sneak a peek at my outfit. Satisfied, I flick the light off and hurry down the stairs.

   When I'm back in the kitchen, I quickly throw together a sandwich before refilling my water bottle. Holding both, I then rush back to the front door, pausing slightly to figure out how to get my shoes on. With a shrug, I hold my sandwich in my mouth, grabbing my shoes with my now free hand and tugging them onto my feet. Once I'm ready, I grab my purse again, a light jacket for later, and my keys and rush back out the door. I lock it behind me before making my way back down to my car. I say a silent prayer as I once again slide behind the wheel.

   My prayers are answered as my car starts, leaving me to heave a sigh of relief out around my sandwich. Once I'm buckled, and I've pulled out onto the road, I grab my sandwich with one hand and finally allow myself to eat it. I've already programmed Coven Valley into my GPS, so once I've swallowed my bite I glance down at my phone briefly before saying, "Hey, Siri." My phone screen comes to life and I add, "Take me to Coven Valley." Sure enough, it pulls up Google Maps and shows the route I need to take. "Take your next right in 750 metres." I keep my eyes on the various streets approaching, slowing and flicking on my blinker as the correct one approaches.

After about twenty or twenty five minutes I finally reach the driveway leading up to the impressive facility. I slow right down as I make my toward the main barn building, joining the other six cars parked out front. One of them I recognize as Heather's. Nice to know that Dani's mom showed up to support her daughter but my mom can't so much a send a text. I shake the thought as I get out of my car, locking it behind me. Honestly, I probably don't need to. Who here, of all places, would either break in or try to steal it? Especially when compared to the other vehicles parked around it. Whatever.