Chapter Fifteen

The next day, I somehow manage to score a four hour shift in the morning. After yesterday, I decide to take a detour to Mosley's to get myself a coffee while on the way. I'm usually okay with just settling for McDonald's, but today I want to treat myself. As I'm climbing back into my car, since the cafe doesn't have a drive-thru, I notice that I have a text from an unknown number. With a curious frown, I unlock my phone and pull up the message.

From: Unknown, 8:42 AM
Hey, Abby. It's Isabelle. I was wondering if you would be interested in joining me for a ride this afternoon? I texted Dani and she's busy. It's okay if you can't. Just thought that I'd ask.

I take a second to re-read her text a few times before adding her contact into my phone. Once 'Unknown' has been changed to 'Isabelle', I still sit and stare at it for a moment before leaving it unanswered and starting my car. Once that's done, I continue along on my way to work. Normally, I'd get to work and talk to Adam, but he's off work today.

I glance at my phone briefly when I pull up out front of the music shop but still leave it unanswered as I get out and make my way to the front door. Once the door is unlocked and the alarm is turned off, I go over to the break room. I toss my things on the table, including my phone since my other coworker, Janice, is working instead, before going back out and opening the till. Once that's done, I go around the store to see if Adam and I missed anything the night before. I find a few things out of place, but mostly everything is okay.

At exactly nine, I go back to the door and turn the open sign on. I have until ten before Janice shows up, and I'm almost tempted to go grab my phone and text Isabelle back, but I don't. I actually had been planning on riding this afternoon anyway, so I may as well way yes. Maybe it's the fact that Dani isn't going to be there that is throwing me off. I still feel awkward around Isabelle because of the way I had treated her for so long. And for whatever reason she makes me nervous.

The bell above the door goes off, pulling my attention to the woman who has entered the store. I smile politely and greet her, "Good morning. Can I help you find anything today?" She smiles and nods before launching into the description of a band that her daughter really loves. She can't seem to recall the name, but it's her girl's fourteenth birthday this weekend and she really wants the band's latest album. Going around the counter, I lead the lady to the pop section and proceed to try and find the lady her CD.

~~~

By the time Janice arrives at ten, I'm already ready to leave. She chuckles as I give her a stressed look. "Thank God you're here." I groan pitifully. "I've been here for an hour and haven't even had time to even think about drinking my coffee yet." She gives me a sympathetic pat on the back.

   "Thank the lord for microwaves, eh?" She laughs. She grabs my coffee on her way to the back room.

   I yell out, "Thank you!" I hear a vague "you're welcome" drift back out and I grin. A minute later she comes back out, holding my now toasty warm coffee to-go cup. I take it from her gratefully. "You are literally a life saver." She just grins back.

   The next half hour or so proceeds with my filling her in on how the morning had been so far. "I kid you not," I groan, "this lady had me going up and down every aisle before finally just grabbing a One Direction CD." I pull a face, making Janice laugh.

   "I know, Abby." She once again pats my shoulder sympathetically. "Some people just have awful taste in music." I nod my head vigorously in agreement. The bell chimes again, pulling our attention to the door. A young couple walks in, and I'm about to internally groan when Janice steps forward to help them. "Hello, how may I help you?" I just let out a relieved sigh and slip behind the counter.