24

Joanna takes the dvd that she's been staring at ever since she returned home. She reaches for it then draws her hand back. She can't decide if she dares watch it.

Blake watches her silently debate with herself. Finally he has enough, "It's not going to kill you to watch the thing. Times going, Joanna, pretty soon one of your options won't be available anymore."

Joanna looks at Blake with fear and confusion on her face, "I know he can't see me, but..."

"You think he's going to say something to hurt you?" Blake says not really surprised at her reaction.

"Stupid,  I know."

"Yeah it is. Watch it, then you can decide what you want or need to do. I'll be here if you need me." Blake reassures her.

"Thank you," Joanna takes the dvd and inserts it in her laptop. Then she puts in her ear buds, she doesn't know how personal the message will be, but she doesn't want to take any chances.

"Joanna, if you are watching this, I just want to say, thank you. I know that I've made some really bad choices when it comes to you and if I could turn back time I'd change them. I was scared about how strongly I felt about you. I'm a player, I like women, I enjoy being with women. Then you came into my life and all I could think about was you and how much I want to be with you.

"I know that doesn't excuse anything I've done to you. I've hurt you pretty bad. In fact I don't expect to ever see or even hear from you again because of it.

"I know just how bad I've messed up and I have no right to ask anything else from you, but I am. I'm going to ask that you give this baby a chance at life. I realize that it's your decision but that baby hasn't done anything wrong. He or she deserves the opportunity to experience life. Perhaps they'll do a better job than me, I hope so at least.

"Second, should you decide to have the baby, I would ask that you tell me if you are going to give him or her up for adoption. I would like the chance to raise my child. I'm not sure how I'll teach them if they have your ability, but I guess I could ask Amy to help.

"Third, should you decide to keep the baby, I would ask for visitation. We can work something out so you won't ever have to see me. We could have Jordan and Blake be the ones to drop off and pick up our child. Or we could work something else out." Michael gives a weak and watery smile before he wipes off the tears that are falling.

"But whatever you decide, you decide what's best for you and the baby. I will abide by your wishes. I would appreciate it if you would let me know though.

"Good bye, Joanna. I know it doesn't mean much, but I am sorry."

Joanna stares at the screen. She wipes away the tears. Why is he making this so hard? She slowly takes out the ear buds.

"Blake, I can't make this decision without talking to him. Does that make me weak?" Joanna says looking at her friend.

Blake looks at her and smiles, "You are the strongest person I know. Wanting to talk to the father of your child before you decide what to do, doesn't make you weak."

"How about wanting to see him again?" Joanna asks looking down. "I shouldn't, especially after the way he treated us, but I was kinda being a bitch too." Joanna looks back up at Blake, "Does that make me weak?"

Blake smiles and shakes his head, "No, that makes you human. Besides you weren't being a bitch. If you had killed his men, then I'd say you were a bitch. You just wanted to go home and he wouldn't let you.

"If you need to speak or even see him to make your decision than do it. And Joanna don't wait for long, it will be much harder the longer you wait to make that call. Would you like me to make it?" Blake says in a comforting tone of voice.

"No, I'd better do it. But if you have his number, that would be good. I erased it from my phone."

Blake takes out his phone and starts looking through his contacts. When he finds it, "Do you want it now or do you want me to write it down for later?"

"Better give it to me now, I might chicken out otherwise." Joanna says more nervous than she ever remembers being. She punches in the numbers as Blake gives them to her. Pushing the send button is the hardest thing she's ever done.

"Hello?" Michael isn't sure if he dares to believe that Joanna is calling him.

"Hi, Michael, it's me Joanna, I mean."

"You called." Michael starts smiling, he'd been so sure that he'd never hear from her again.

"Y-yeah, look, I just finished the dvd you sent for me. We need to talk before I can make any decisions." Joanna says this as fast as she can while still making it possible to be understood.

"Okay, what would you like to talk about?" Michael says softly, he wishes he could see her, better yet hold her.

"It would be better if we did this face to face." Michael looks at his phone, he knows she can read emotions, but when did she turn into a mind reader?

"Okay. You name the time and place and I'll be there." Michael will clear his schedule for this.

"Don't you have some businesses to run?" Joanna asks curiously.

"Yes, several, actually, but you and our child are far more important to me. Jordan can reschedule most things and what he can't he can fill in for me. Just name the time and place, Joanna I'll be there."

"My condo, tomorrow after lunch, say 2:00?" Joanna says before she loses her nerve.

"Perfect, I'll be there. Thank you, Joanna, I know you didn't have to do that."

"You're welcome. I'll see you tomorrow then, bye."

"Bye, Joanna." Michael hangs up the phone with far more hope than when he picked it up.

"Jordan, cancel all my appointments for tomorrow. Something very important just came up."

"Damn well better be, some of those appointments have been on the books for over a month." Jordan grouses, he hates having to reschedule last minute like this.

"Joanna just called. She wants to talk to me tomorrow afternoon."

"I'll clear your schedule. Bring her home, boss. The men miss her." Jordan smiles hopefully at Michael.

Michael smiles sadly, "I don't think she'll come. She wants to talk about the baby. I just hope she doesn't want to abort it."

"Sorry boss, we're all routing for you," Jordan says hiding his wince at Michael's words.