Chapter Four: The Conflict Is Among Us

The school day was soon over. The team headed to Mech X4 immediately after. Ryan used his powers to make the robot step on them. They all shot up in the elevator, with Spyder screaming like it was a rollercoaster. It reached the top, with everyone stepping out. They all met at Harris' station. The genius of the group sat down in his chair.

"Alright, the bay is about 52 miles from here." He informed.

"Why would he travel so far out?" Spyder asked.

"Well, he wants to attack the city while being in the city. But, he doesn't want to get caught either. What other option does he have?" Ryan counteracted.

"It's smart." Veracity commented.

"And that much dangerous. Which is why we need to head out as soon as possible." Harris replied.

"Okay, but before we do that..." Spyder began.

The team looked at him.

"Who wants snacks?" He questioned.

"We're trying to catch a sociopath at night so we know what he's planning and making sure he doesn't go through with it. Why in the world would we want a snack?" Mark asked him.

"Can't fight on an empty stomach. Besides, I brought pretzels." Spyder answered.

He held up numerous amounts of pretzel bags.

"Where did you get all that?" Veracity questioned him.

"My dad buys them every time he goes shopping." Spyder told her.

Ryan shrugged as he took a bag. Veracity had done the same. Mark shrugged and followed behind a few moments after. They all began eating their snack.

"Are we really gonna sit here and eat pretzels?" Harris asked.

"He's got a point." Ryan responded.

"Yeah shorty, take a bag. It won't kill you." Mark agreed.

Harris sighed as he took one.

"Ok fine. But after this, we're going after him." He declared.

"Why wouldn't we? It's gonna be fun going after dad." Ryan stated sarcastically.

The group stared at him. The pilot shrugged.

"What?" Ryan asked.

"You called Seth your dad." Veracity replied a bit surprised.

"So?" Ryan questioned further.

"Well...I mean, you were upset about it earlier-"

"So what? There's nothing to say. He's my dad and there's no changing that. Even if I do hate it." The technopath cut Harris off.

"Yeah but, you don't have to call him your dad. Especially after-"

"He is my dad, Mark. By blood, I'm a Harper. And unless I came from someone else's body, we're family. A very toxic, strange family." Ryan interrupted yet again.

"If he was family, he wouldn't try to kill you." Mark retorted.

"And if he wasn't family, he wouldn't of showed up on my DNA test." Ryan argued.

"It doesn't matter if he showed up on that stupid test! He's not family! He didn't raise you, take care of you, or even love you! We did that!" Mark erupted.

His sudden outburst caught the others off guard.

"I know-"

"He comes up with ways to to literally hurt us every day! And if it's not him, it's someone else!" Mark interrupted.

"I-"

"He freakin found a way to cause you pain!!" Mark stopped him again.

"I have eyes dude! I already-"

"So why does he even get to be called dad when my dad at least cares enough to stop by and check up on the both of us?!" Mark asked.

"Would you chill?! I was being sarcastic! Besides, I wouldn't have to be this way if I had known he was my dad in the first place!" Ryan remarked.

"I wanted to tell you-"

"But you didn't! So how about you pick your battles before you start talking?!" Ryan snapped.

"I wouldn't of gotten so loud if you didn't start calling that psychopath your dad!" Mark retaliated.

"I was being SARCASTIC!!" Ryan yelled.

"Sarcastic or not, you still said it! And it's wrong!" Mark roared.

"Well if everything I say is wrong, then don't talk to me!" Ryan finished.

He walked out of the control center. Mark watched him go. That was something he did not want to happen. He sighed as he leaned against Harris' chair. The bag of pretzels in his hands was crumbled up and threw in the trash. The others were silent as Spyder kept staring at the trashcan.

"If you didn't want them, you could of gave them to me." He said.

The mechanic shot a glance at him before rolling his eyes. Harris got up and walked over to him.

"Of all people, why would he even think about calling Seth Harper his dad?" Mark asked.

Spyder was about to say something, but the sixteen year old beat him to it.

"Besides the obvious." Mark said.

Spyder then shut his mouth.

"Maybe he's just accepting it." Veracity suggested.

"How can he accept it so quick? This morning he had a panic attack and now all of a sudden he's fine?" Mark questioned.

"That got me too." Harris agreed.

A random spark came from the elevator. It caused everyone to jump.

"Or...maybe he's trying to accept it." Spyder corrected his friend.

"Either way, he's not fine. And your not gonna be fine until you two talk." Veracity told Mark.

The former jock threw his hands up in the air.

"How am I gonna talk to him if he hates me?!" He inquired.

"He doesn't hate you." Veracity reassured.

"How do you even know that?" Mark questioned her.

"Because we can tell." Spyder answered.

Mark looked confused.

"How can you Spindell?" He asked.

Veracity raised an eyebrow. Spyder only blinked at him.

"What did you call him?" The female genius quizzed.

Harris only chuckled.

"Well, when you were being Mr. Popular, me and Harris picked up a few things." Spyder started, pretending he didn't hear the mistake in his name.

"Like?" Mark questioned.

"Like if he hated you, he wouldn't of even looked you in the eye." Harris told him.

"Oh! And he would've shunned you...like a lot." Spyder threw in.

"And he wouldn't acknowledge your presence." Harris added.

Mark nodded.

"Got it." He said.

"Look overall, it'll take time. He JUST found out, he's not gonna be cool with you until he's cool." Veracity summed up everything.

The sixteen year old sighed as he began to climb the ladder. Harris and Spyder went to their stations. Veracity started to walk out of the room.

"Where are you going?" Harris wondered.

"To get Ryan. You think you'll be able to even move a few feet without him?" Veracity questioned in return.

Harris was about to respond, but just shrugged. She wasn't wrong. Silence had taken over for the others. This was going to be a long night.