Chapter Seven: The Truth About Technopathy

Harper ran as far away from his robot as possible. It wasn't a failed creation. Actually, it did him justice. The team managed to knock it down, but they didn't destroy it. There was a back entrance near the open field. He contacted Grey on the other side of the bay.

"Repair the robot. I'll meet you in five." Seth informed.

"No you won't."

The enemy was instantly tackled to the ground. He looked up to see the sixteen year old applying pressure on his back. The rich adult put his device away. The mechanic was not pleased to see him. The billionaire could tell that right off the bat. He smiled.

"What? You won. That's not enough for you?" Seth asked.

"The only way I win is when your in jail." Mark sharply remarked.

"Ooo, snappy-"

"Shut it!" The teenager shouted.

It echoed loudly around the area.

"Woah, keep it down. Someone might hear you." Seth said.

"What's your deal? Why would you want to kill your own kid? He did nothing to you." Mark asked him.

"Kill him? What are you talking about?" Seth questioned.

"What do you mean what am I talking about?! This whole time you came after all of us." Mark told him.

"Ok...that's true. But once I got your brother, I wasn't going to kill him." Seth replied.

"What were you going to do?" Mark questioned.

"Well I can't tell you that. It's top secret. Besides, the only benefit he has from dying is not dealing with the side effects." Seth stated.

Mark sat on him and crossed his arms.

"What side effects?" He inquired.

"Man, Leo really doesn't tell you guys anything." Seth responded.

He tried to get up, but failed the teen wouldn't let him up.

"K first, can you get off me? This is really uncomfortable." Seth begged.

"Not til you tell me about the side effects." Mark negotiated.

The evil brainiac sighed and rolled his eyes, but talked anyway.

"Technopathy is an incredible power." He began.

"Yeah, it links to our robot. What's so bad about it?" Mark asked.

"All the subjects tested were volunteers. It was a lot of work and a long process. Not everyone got them, including me-"

"Which is why you want to take my brother hostage." Mark spoke under his breath.

"And since they never got it, they all received...side effects. Their nerves and pulse react to technology like enemies. They could hyperventilate or pass out." Seth explained, pretending he didn't hear that part.

"But Ryan has the power. He should be fine, right?" Mark asked.

"He's one of the only people who got the power. But, he's a kid. So because he's so young, it'll bond with his blood cells." Seth answered.

"Isn't that the point? So it can stay in his body?" Mark questioned further.

"No. It'll stay in his body regardless if his cells are bonded or not. But, the more it attaches to him, the more it could hurt him." Seth responded.

"How do I know your not lying?" Mark asked.

"Hello! I worked with Leo. I was friends with the guy. I know what I'm talking about. And even if I was lying, I wouldn't go that far in depth...ok maybe I would. But would I lie about something I used to want?" Seth returned in question.

Mark sighed. He stood up, letting the man be free. He stretched a little as the mechanic watched him do so. Seth took a breath before going on.

"Look, I care about him as much as you do-"

"Oh yeah ok. Your gonna have to prove that one buddy." Mark interrupted.

"I do...just in my own way. But anyway, the power comes with setbacks. Something that Leo didn't catch apparently." Seth continued.

"For someone who wants us dead, your really taking a long time to do it." Mark said.

"I just answered your question. And we just fought. In the robot. Up there. Ten seconds ago. When I was-"

"Yeah I get that." Mark shut him up.

Seth walked up towards him.

"Now I'm not so bad, right?" He asked.

Mark smacked him dead across the face. You could physically hear the sound of the slap. The billionaire rubbed his cheek and held back a certain use of words as he faced back at the teenager.

"K...that one's not getting to you." He commented.

"There's no way your his father. It's you and your headgames. You made us think you actually gave a darn about us. Your just doing it again!" Mark accused.

"If I was playing headgames, you wouldn't even realize it. I gave you the answer you wanted. What's the harm there?" Seth had asked.

"Thanks...I guess. Now leave us alone." Mark demanded.

He began to walk away. Seth stayed in his spot. He crossed his arms before speaking once more.

"Yeah, that's one thing I can't promise." The rich adult spoke.

Mark turned around.

"I'm serious. No more of you, Grey, Morris, Tragear, Davage, anyone! We're done with all of you and so is everyone else! Got it?" He snapped.

Seth tilted his head.

"And if I don't?" He questioned.

The former jock walked closer to him.

"It'll be the only thing you'll ever regret doing." Mark threatened frighteningly.

Seth only smiled.

"Hmm...and I thought your brother could be just like me." He stated.

That caused the mechanic to freeze. He didn't just--be like him?! Was he kidding?! Mark Walker was the man. He did things that surpassed others. He works hard in school and basically anything. He earns his place and titles. His name was the first to be described as awesome. And Seth Harper wasn't any of those things. To be compared to him was beyond horrible. It was insulting.

"If Mark Walker can do anything, you can play both sides, right?" Seth asked.

He walked away from the sixteen year old. Mark didn't stop him either. He left the other way. Heading back to the robot, he had thoughts zipping through his brain. What was his game? What was Seth really after? Is technopathy the only thing? How was he playing this? Will they ever find anything out? These were new, unanswered questions. And honestly, Mark didn't know if he wanted them to be answered.