I FALL IN LOVE WITH EVERYTHING THAT WANTS NOTHING TO DO WITH ME

MAY 2ND

"I'm still having trouble believing that Geoff actually said he liked me back," Awsten said to Otto as they walked side by side out of their shared morning class. It was now around noon, signalling that the two boys had a couple of hours to relax and eat lunch before their shared afternoon class, Economics, at 2:30 P.M.

The events of the media event were still running fresh through Awsten's mind. He was in slight denial about it, sure that it was just a dream of his, that his mind was tricking him with a daydream rather than the reality. Otto had to consistently remind Awsten that it was indeed Geoff who reciprocated, not a figment of his imagination. Although it was annoying, Otto would do just about anything to make sure his best friend was okay, even if it meant he had to constantly deal with Awsten's annoying antics.

"For the thousandth time this morning, Awsten, Geoff doesn't like Chloe, he likes you," Otto groaned as they headed towards the Starbucks that was across the street from campus. "Chloe's just a good friend of Geoff's, that's all."

"Yeah, that's what you said about Grace and look at where you two are at now," Awsten mumbled, instantly feeling guilty about what he had just said. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that."

"It's fine," Otto said, not wanting to make a big deal out of nothing. "If anything, I feel bad for dating her straight after you two broke up."

"Don't start, Otto," Awsten laughed softly. "It wasn't straight after, it was two months later."

"Still," Otto shrugged and opened the door for Awsten. "Hey, I'll cover today."

"No way," Awsten said quickly. "You paid yesterday!"

"Do you even have your wallet on you?" Otto asked, raising his eyebrow. Awsten paused for a moment, patting his pockets. He cursed under his breath. Otto noticed and chuckled.

"Fuck you," Awsten said. Otto rolled his eyes. "I'll take a green tea frap, y'know, the usual."

"Are you sure you don't order that just because it matches your hair?" Otto laughed. The two boys were next in line.

"I ordered that when I didn't have blue hair!" Awsten whined. Otto laughed again. The two boys were now next and they headed up to the counter.

"Hey, Sarah!" Otto said cheerily. Awsten stood behind him awkwardly as he ordered their drinks, sandwiches and pastries.

"See you later, Otto and co," Sarah waved as Otto paid and left a tip for her. The two boys then walked over towards the other end of the cafe and sat at a table. Awsten looked out the window while Otto waited for their food.

Awsten studied the way the leaves on the trees were starting to return to their lush green color and how the nice spring breeze ruffled the branches ever so slightly, letting the atmosphere truly look alive. It felt alive. The simple aesthetics brought joy to him, but he still felt as if something was off. Maybe it was about Geoff. Maybe it was about Chloe, or maybe it was about Grace and Otto. Awsten wasn't sure, so he decided to shrug it off. If he couldn't figure out what it was, it was probably nothing.

"Eat up," Otto said as he dropped Awsten's drink and sandwich in front of him. Awsten grinned.

"Dude, I'm starving," Awsten shouted. "Thank you, Jesus, hallelujah!"

"Name's Otto, dude," Otto chuckled before diving into his sandwich. The two ate in a comfortable silence, as Otto was busy stuffing his face and Awsten was lost in his thoughts, staring out the window.

Awsten continued looking around at the cars that drove by, the people that were walking along the streets-

"Wait, is that Geoff?" Awsten blurted out, interupting his thoughts and gazing at the familiar brunette. Otto peered out the window, looking in the same direction as Awsten.