Chapter 6

Katniss returns with a few birds. We cook them up and eat them. 'What's your sisters name?' I ask her. 'Primrose, but I call her Prim' she says 'What do you call your sister?'. 'I have 2, one older one younger. Older one is Junee and Fiera is the baby' I say. 'And your parents?' Asks Katniss. 'My mom died when I was 6 and my dad moved to 7, the day before she died, suicide.' I say sadly. 'Sorry, Clove I didn't mean to make you sad' says Katniss. 'It's fine' I say, 'you didn't know'. She looks at her food 'If it makes you feel any better, my dad died when I was 11, mines blew up' she says. 'Sorry to hear that' I say. She nods. 'Thanks'. It's dark now but the fire still burns. Katniss looks around 'Someone's here' she says. I grab a knife and hold it ready to throw. She puts an arrow in her bow and points it into the darkness. A large figure appears. Cato. But as they come in to view, I realise it's not Cato, it's the boy from 3. 'Don't shoot'  he says. 'Did Cato send you?' Asks Katniss bitterly. The boy shakes his head 'My District partner died and I've been avoiding anyone I can see since the start.   I need some allies'. Katniss puts down her bow and I drop my knife 'Fine' I say, 'sit'. 'Thank you' he says. Katniss throws a bird on the stick that she made into a spit roast. 'What's your name?' I ask him as Katniss hands him a bird. 'I'm Hollister' he says. 'I'm Clove and this is Katniss' I say. 'Do you have any weapons?' Katniss asks. He shakes his head 'No physical ones.' I look at Katniss, 'What do you mean?' She asks. He pulls out wire, 'I'm from 3, so we learn about technology and stuff.' 'You can blow stuff up?' I ask. Hollister nods 'Yeah'. The Fallen presentation plays and we look up. The girl from 11s picture is in the sky and it goes black. 'So who's left?' Hollister asks. 'Us, Cato, Thresh from 11, girls from 4&5 and boy from 10. ' says Katniss. 'We should get some sleep' I say 'Who will take first watch?' 'I will' says Katniss. So Hollister and I lean up against a tree. 'Katniss seems cool' he whispers 'I can't believe she got an 11'. I smile 'Same, what did you get?' I ask '5' he says 'my skills were crap anyway' I have to laugh at that, it's the first thing that's made my laugh during the games. 'I'm tired, I'll see you in the morning' I say 'Goodnight'. 'Goodnight' he says back.

Katniss wakes me 'Your shift'. I get up and sit at the front of our camp, throwing my knife at a tree. It makes me think, this arena must have some purpose. It shouldn't be just an arena, it must have some message. I hear a growl. I look behind me. Hollister and Katniss are asleep. I turn back to see a dog looking creature staring right at me.

---------

'Hey Katniss?' I shout. She jumps awake. She taps Hollister when she sees the mutt. His eyes widen. He grabs the coil of wire and runs. Katniss and I follow. I hear it growling and barking behind us. We keep running to the cornicopia. It follows us and I throw my knife at its head, killing it instantly. It lets out one final groan. Hollister and Katniss are at the mouth of the  cornicopia. I meet them there. 'I killed it' I say. 'Your hair!' Exclaimes Katniss. I see my hair has fallen out of the ponytail. 'It's fine' I say 'Come on, let's find camp'. We walk to the other side of the forest. We keep walking for what feels like forever. We find a spot that works, right at the edge of the arena. It's still light so we don't get food.  We all just sit there in silence, panting for air and wrapping our heads around the fact we almost were eaten by a giant dog. We do this until night. 'Here' says Katniss. She re does my hair in a fishtail braid. 'Thanks' I say. 'That's what friends are for, you guys are my friends now' she says. We smile at her. 'I'll take first watch' says Hollister. He grabs one of my knives. I lay down facing Katniss 'Thanks for my hair' I say. She opens her arms and I snuggle into her chest. 'Any time little duck' she says.