2.

Getting off the train, she gripped her books tightly. But debated whether or not to return them. What did Malfoy want from her in return? Surely there had to be a catch. No one just gave her anything, she also surely did not need charity from a Malfoy.

The children were all ushered onto carriages. Surprised by the massive skeletal horse creatures that pulled them, she jumped back.

"Bloody hell, (L/N)! Watch it!" Crabbe pushed her to the side rudely followed by Goyle and Malfoy. Draco in passing looked at her books casually and then kept walking as if he had nothing to do with her.

"You ever wonder why she was sorted into Gryffindor?" (Y/N) overheard the Ravenclaw girls talking in line behind her.

"The sorting hat is never wrong." Another responded.

"She hasn't spoken all 5 years we've been here though."

"Not true, I heard one time she spoke and it came out as a different language. A lot of people she was the one who opened the Chamber of Secrets second year."

"No way! That's too bizarre, she'd be in Azkaban now."

"It would explain why she's scared of the carriages. So jumpy after all that."

"I guess. I just can't believe someone too timid to speak is in a house for bravery."

When her time to hop on the carriage came she hopped on there as soon as she could. Trying her best to hide her uncomfortableness a secret by keeping her eyes on her lap until they pulled up to the castle.

The welcome back feast broke out. Everyone at the Gryffindor table was happily welcoming each other back home and congratulating the newcomers.

(Y/N) sat at the end of the table, in the front as per usual. The sorting ceremony was one of her favorites as it amused her to guess the children's houses before they got to the hat. She actually sat down with majority first years around her. Smiling at how amusing and innocent they were.

"Good evening, children." Dumbledores voice boomed over the hall, "Now we have 2 changes in staff this year. Please welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank.Who'd be taking care of magical creatures, while Professor Hagrid is on temporary leave. We're also pleased to welcome our new Defense Against Dark Arts teacher, Professor Dolores Umbridge. I'm sure you all will join me in wishing the professor good luck."

That was meant to be the end of the subject, you could tell. But Professor Umbridge made a small hum-hum sound that got Dumbledore's attention. In all of the years, (Y/N) questioned if she ever saw another teacher do this. The woman was short and toad looking, with a fluffy pink cardigan and a smile that looked straight out of a horror film.

"Well, it is lovely to be back at Hogwarts, I must say!" She smiled, revealing very pointed teeth, and (Y/N) already found a very knacking headache coming from the woman's breathy voice. "And to see such happy little faces looking back at me! I am very much looking forward to getting to know you all, and I'm sure we'll be very good friends! The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. The rare gifts with which you were born may come to nothing if not nurtured and honed by careful instruction. The ancient skills unique to the Wizarding community must be passed down through the generations lest we lose them forever. The treasure trove of magical knowledge amassed by our ancestors must be guarded, replenished, and polished by those who have been called to the noble profession of teaching. Every headmaster and headmistress of Hogwarts has brought something new to the weighty task of governing this historic school, and that is as it should be, for without progress there will be stagnation and decay. There again, progress for progress's sake must be discouraged, for our tried and tested traditions often require no tinkering. A balance, then, between old and new, between permanence and change, between tradition and innovation..."

It was here that (Y/N) stole herself to glance across the room, looking to place her attention elsewhere. She saw that none of the other students sitting in the starry hall were happy to be listening to this woman. Maybe all except for Malfoy, who seemed to recognize this woman as an old friend. (Y/N) didn't notice how long she had been staring at him. It must've been enough to be noticed though because Crabbe ended up elbowing Draco in the arm for his attention to be returned to her. Her eyes fleeted to her empty dinner plate.

She had no idea why she was so intrigued by Draco. She knew he must want something from her, she didn't know what yet but it had to be something as she never knew him to give gifts without anything attached. The Malfoy name was not new to her house, she was often told to stay quiet in her room while her parents conversed downstairs with other alum, and while her parents did not go to school with Malfoy's, the name was brought up often in the line of work.

"Thank you, Professor Umbridge." Dumbledore ushered the woman off the podium, (Y/N)'s ears perked up at the more pleasant voice of her headmaster, "Now, there are only a few things left before we send you all off to bed. It is now time to welcome Professor McGonagall to begin announcing your fifth-year prefects."

"Thank you." Professor McGonagall smiled, "Prefects are a tradition among Hogwarts. 2 students shall be selected from each house who have displayed their house well in the last 4 years that they are awarded the title of Prefect from year 5 until they graduate. In the 7th year, prefects have a higher chance of being named Head Boy or Girl, although this does not always tend to be the case."

The room stood still. It was no secret that becoming a prefect was like being a kind of king or queen of your house. Having the ability to take points away from others and private bathrooms and meetings and a feeling of importance came from it. Everyone wanted that title.

"I do ask that the Head Boy and Head Girl from each house come to the podium to announce the new prefects of this years fifth years." and that they did. The 7th years picked as head of each of the houses stood one by one announcing the favorites of the houses:

"Ernest Macmillian & Hannah Abbott!" The prefects of Hufflepuff house.

"Padma Patil & Anthony Goldstein!" Prefects of Ravenclaw.

"Pansy Parkinson & Draco Malfoy" Slytherin.

Everyone was going crazy for their picks, as normally they are the most popular of their houses. (Y/N) looked up at the Slytherin table, where Draco stood in accepting his place as prefect, smirking.

The Gryffindor heads then approached the podium. Everyone began whispering about the obvious picks of the house: Harry Potter and Hermione Granger. Who else would it possibly be?

"This was a really hard decision, surely." The Head Boy, Damian, began.

"But we think these students have shown great courage, in being unapologetically themselves. Showing their leadership in example most importantly." The Head Girl, Nicola, continued. They looked at each other before announcing them at the same time:

"Ronald Weasley" The crowd went nuts, Harry shoved Ron to stand from where he was and everyone surprisingly hollered. But stared at Harry Potter as he was the expected choice. No one expected it. "And (Y/N) (L/N)!"

People from other tables clapped, but everyone from the Gryffindor table seemed so shocked. Besides the other prefects and Hermione, nobody seemed to be clapping for the girl. As well as the Weasley Twins who loved to get excited over anything, she knew them from them giving her comfort after a bit of homesickness her first year. Everyone looked at her, she never in her life had this many eyes on her, except maybe since the sorting hat. They were all whispering to their friends and it drove her mad.

She was so confused, she had nothing written in her letter, never had she received a Prefect Pin. She was not invited into the Prefect carriage when she arrived. There had to have been some mistake, and she didn't want to get excited yet or especially accept this.

"Well? C'mon then! Stand up!" Fred Weasley urged her and she did. There was an uncomfortable holler from the Gryffindor table.

She sat down as soon as she stood. When she sat she looked up and made eye contact with Draco which only made her more uncomfortable and pissed quite honestly. What else would change for her this year? How much more did she not plan on?