oops, i dropped my courage in the ocean [2]

"I asked the leaves one day, why they fell and left the trees cold in winter. They told me that, they had to leave the trees they loved so
the
much more beautiful

                              s n o w
c o u l d
               h a v e
                            t h e m
                                                             i n s t e ad." - //when autumn died for winter.

_________

I didn't want to answer that.

I glanced at the time on my phone,

3:00PM,

"Why did you stop piano?"

The question came again. I looked at the source of words, a girl with freckles adorning her cheeks.
We bumped into each other a few times around the hallways of our university. Eventually as persistent as the stranger was, she convinced me to go out with her for coffee.

As friends, of course.

My fingers were fidgety and my ears perked up each time the chime on the door sounded, revealing a new customer that breathed in the caffeine that conquered the air.
I faced the girl sitting opposite me. A cream colored  sweater and huge thin rimmed glasses.

Her bright smile and genuine interest annoyed me. I sighed, something I do very often. I usually avoid speaking and I'm thinking of a thousand excuses to escape that question right now. 11 excuses per second wasn't enough for my thoughts were caught up in my mind, and it tripped over a useless excuse just as my tongue slipped and a few words fell out of my mouth.

Three words to be exact.

"I don't know."

Stupid wasn't the only word I called myself as that simple mistake took place. Not a surprise to say her smile dropped a mile and her eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"I mean, uh- I'd rather not talk about it."

I swear I could hear the glass door screaming at me for being such an idiot. It was safe to say she wouldn't talk to me after this,

but nothing bad happened?

A lot of things happened.

"Hey, are you listening?" She was annoyed. Her light brown eyes went a bit darker, the slightest change but I wonder if she's mad at me?

I stuttered a bit but I eventually told her,

"My first performance, it didn't go so well. It was for a competition, and I ran away from stage. It was at a very young age, it affected me more than I could admit but I never bothered with the piano again."

She sighed before wrapping her fingers around the cup.

When did the coffee get here? I looked behind me and saw the retreating form of a waiter.

I looked out the window to see the brown and orange covered sidewalks as we exited the shop together.

After walking a block, I noticed the air got colder. The girl was walking beside me, our steps in sync, exchanging a few words and thoughts.
She wants to become an oncologist one day and help people like her sister.

She smiled but I saw the hurt in her eyes.

We walked further till we reached an apartment complex, it wasn't too shabby but the building wasn't the best. I walked her up till her door, which wasn't too high up the stairs, before I mumbled a goodbye.

"Bye Autumn." I said,

And walked down and out. I could see my breath more clearer yet fogged up now and I swear I saw a snowflake fall beside me on the ground.

______________________

A/N : thanks for reading!! Leave a comment?