Chapter 1

The funeral was almost two weeks later, and to say the entire town came would be an understatement. My parents were well-known by the community. My mother was born and raised in this town, Hollow Shore, North Carolina, while my dad moved here the start of his sophomore year in high school. Both graduated from Hollow Shore High School, went to the same college, and moved back to the only place they wanted to call home. My parents were very involved in the community. They hosted fundraisers, volunteered weekly at local shelters, and made it to every show the high school and local theater put on. They are the kindest people I've ever met.

Or, rather, they were.

The funeral is being held at the local church, and if you ask me it's all wrong. My parents only went to church when my grandparents came to visit, and even then they were reluctant to go. It's not that they weren't religious, they just preferred to sleep in on Sunday mornings. The room has been decorated with candles, pictures, and what looks like hundreds of lilies. I scoff and lower my head. My mother hated lilies.

Pastor Daniel stands up from where he was previously sitting and moves to the front podium. Clearing his throat, he begins to deliver the eulogy.

"Today, we are gathered to celebrate the lives of Brad and Lily Harper. Everyone either knew them or knew of them, and were all equally devastated to learn of their passing." I tuned out after that, not wanting to listen to this sappy crap. I'm not usually so cynical, but to hear someone who hardly even knew my parents talk about how "devastated" complete strangers feel is ridiculous. I mean, they didn't even know that my mother's least favorite flower is the lily, what gives them the right to decide who gets to stand in front of the entire town and talk about my parents? Pastor Daniel continued droning on, something about my parents in high school I think? I'm not really paying attention. Having had enough, I stand up and walk towards the door. Everyone stares as I go by. I can feel their pity-filled gazes without looking at any of them, and it just makes me angrier.

I open the church doors and stand outside, the crisp autumn air hitting me with such ferocity. I left my coat inside, but I don't feel cold. I've been numb since that night at the hospital.

I stand there, looking at everything and nothing. I don't know how much time has passed, but after a while I feel a hand on my shoulder.

"Hey, sweetie, you okay?" I hear my aunt ask. I want to laugh. Should I be okay? Is that why everyone always asks? Why would I be okay with this, how could I be?

I turn towards her and just shrug, leaning against a pillar by the steps.

"Alyce, you're frozen solid, where's your coat?" She asks.

"Left it inside." I reply.

"The ceremony is over." My aunt says. "Everyone is getting ready to head over to the reception Pastor Dan and his wife are hosting." Rolling my eyes, I turn away.

"Why is he doing all of this? He barely knew them." My aunt gives me a sad smile and takes my hand.

"I think it's nice that he and Sharron have offered to help out," she says, "and the eulogy he gave was very beautiful."

"Sarah, he barely even knew them!" I say, turning towards her. By now, people are starting to exit the church. We're getting curious looks from people as they go to leave, everyone waiting for the little orphan girl to cause a massive scene. "What's even with this funeral shit? They didn't even go to church! And did you see the lilies? The entire fucking church is filled with them. Mom hated lilies!"

"Alyce, language." My aunt says, sternly. Rolling my eyes, I continue.

"It's stupid. This entire thing is stupid." I mutter.