Heroes At A Cost

Skyler's POV

We climbed the main road, toward the big palace at the peak. It was a reverse copy of the palace in the Underworld. There, everything had been black obsidian and bronze. Here, everything glittered white and silver. I realized Hades must've built his palace to resemble this one. He wasn't welcomed in Olympus except on the winter solstice, so he'd built his own Olympus underground.

Despite our experience with him, I felt a little sorry for the guy. To be banished from this place seemed cruel and unfair. It would make anybody bitter. Steps led up to a central courtyard filled with swaying gold flowers, marble benches, and a trickling fountain. Past that, the throne room. Room really isn't the right word. The place made Grand Central Station look like a broom closet. Massive columns rose to a domed ceiling, which was gilded with moving constellations, courtesy of my aunt. Twelve thrones were arranged in an inverted U, just like the cabins at Camp Half-Blood. An enormous fire crackled in the central hearth pit.

"Time has run out." A booming voice echoed from the center chair of the inverted U.

"Wait!"

Before us sat the gods, all of them being sixteen feet tall. "Woah.." I heard Percy mutter under his breath. The gods who had been looking at the man I only assumed to be Zeus turned to face the three of us. "My name is Percy Jackson, and I think you might be looking for this,"Percy said as he gestured to the bolt in his hands.

Zeus took two steps forward, extending his large hand out to Percy. "Give me the bolt, lightning thief."

Percy threw the bolt towards Zeus, who caught it with ease. The bolt grew to its full size, somewhere around five or six feet long. "You're wise to betray your father," Zeus said.

"I didn't steal it. And I have no connection to Poseidon." I looked up, seeing the god of the seas face fall, looking hurt by Percy's words.

"Then tell me. If you didn't steal it. Then who did?"

"Luke. Son of Hermes." Percy said and Zeus glanced at Hermes with a face that every kid knows all too well means 'I'll deal with you later.'

"You see he was angry. At all of you. He wanted you to destroy yourselves.." I said softly, looking at the floor and then up at the gods.

"You have done well," Zeus said after sharing a glance with Poseidon, Athena, and Apollo.

Zeus returned to his throne, sitting down. Percy glanced down at me and I slid my hand in his, he excepted the gesture and intertwined his fingers with mine, giving my hand a gentle squeeze of reassurance that he was going to be there for me despite my mistakes.

Poseidon smiled at Percy and then glanced at Zeus. Athena and Apollo did the same.

"Let there be peace," Zeus said, holding his hand up.

We all sighed in relief. I looked over, seeing Annabeth looking at her mother. Athena gave her a small smile. "Hi, mom..." Annabeth said softly.

"Annabeth. I'm so proud of you." Athena said. I saw Annabeth smile as her mother praised her for her good work.

I looked towards my left where my own father Apollo sat. He gave me a small nod. I could feel my heart sink. 'This is the first time I've seen him and he doesn't even say anything to me?!'  I yelled in my mind. 'I know I did something bad and all but come on, not even one word..?'

"Zeus, I have a good friend. He's a satyr named Grover. He's my protector, and the only reason why we escaped the Underworld is because he stayed behind." I heard Percy say.