Chapter 4

*Alex's pov*

I finally got out of the hospital after a year and the first thing I did was go home.

"Dad? I'm home!"

I went up to my room, knowing that since he didn't amswer, he probably wasn't home.

I saw that he left everything the way I'd left it. Everything was clean. It was supposed to be that way. I wasn't even supposed to be here. I wasn't sure how the doctors had saved me. I just knew they did.

I looked out my window and saw her. A pretty brunette walking down the sidewalk. I didn't know who she was but she kind of looked like Hannah. I knew better than to believe it was her though.

Then I saw Clay's sister come up to her. They started talking and Logan gave the brunette something. I couldn't see what it was. The blonde made eye contact with me and I quickly moved away from the window.

*Logan's pov*

I made eye contact with Alex, who was standing by his window and glared. I didn't want Alex near Mackenzie. Not now that I knew Clay liked her. And I would do everything to make sure Alex stayed away from her.

"So, uh, do you like anyone, Mackenzie?"

"No. I don't have time for boyfriends."

"Right. I forgot."

"Don't worry about it. Most people make time for things like that."

"Yeah. But Mackenzie, I've already figured out that you're not like most girls here."

"You're right. I'm not. Look, Logan, you're a nice girl and I'm sure you're cool. But I'm not someone you want to be friends with."

"Why not?"

"Just trust me, ok?"

"Ok. Ok. You're right. I should trust you. That's what friends- well sort of friends do, right?"

"Right."

Mackenzie left and I waited until she was around the corner before going to Alex's front door.

He answered the door almost immediately.

"Yes, Logan?"

"Stay away from Mackenzie."

"Why should I do that?"

He wasn't going to make this easy, was he?

*Alex's pov*

"Why should I do that?"

She should have known it wouldn't be that easy.

"Because she's my friend and Clay likes her."

"Your brother is going to lose this round, Logan."

"Not if I have anything to do with it."

"And what are you going to do about it?"

"You don't even know Mackenzie."

"Yeah. Well it's called a date. Something your brother has probably never been on."

"Just leave Mackenzie alone."

"No."

I could tell Logan was mad. She never really liked me but she never really told me what to do either. She was protective over her friend Mackenzie and I knew just how to piss her off completely.

"Look, Logan, I won't ask her out. But I will flirt with her. And if she says she likes me, I will then ask her out."

"She'll never say that."

"Bet she will."

"You're an asshole, Alex."

"Maybe. But I'm also really good at getting what I want."

Logan walked out of the house and I knee she would do everything she could to keep her pretty brunette friend away from me.

But I would make sure it didn't work.