Chapter Thirty-SYNERGY

"KYLO!" Dayanna shouted as she had woken up, nothing but the sight of her room surrounding her rather than the dry planet. Taking in deep breaths as she panicked, she searched her room for any signs of him. But then it hit her. The last thing she had seen: Kylo battling Snoke.

Feeling the cape around her, Dayanna fell to her knees. She couldn't save him. She couldn't bring him back to her. And now she had no idea if he were dead or alive... and the latter seemed less likely.

Holding tightly onto the cape, Dayanna cried out. She wanted nothing more than to save him from his own fate. To protect him. To keep him away from it all. She wanted him to know that he was loved and to feel it. To be by her side and to never leave it. She had such hopes of bringing him to a place he could call home... but now? Now she feared he was gone for good and there was no way of reaching out to him this time.

Days had passed her by and no word of Kylo had been shared. Nothing had been spoken of except the victory of the Resistance. But, still, Kylo was missing—or at least assumed to be.

As the days had dragged on, Dayanna having to return to her duties, always finding herself breaking down in the shower or in the middle of the night, the days eventually turned into months. Months of being in the darkness, not knowing what happened to Kylo. At this point, her hope was slowly dimming.

She didn't want to give up, not now, not ever... but it had been months since the battle of Crait and Kylo's disappearance had become a mystery. Did Snoke die? Did he take Kylo with him? The First Order was a complete mess now, a riot of its own... so she could only imagine the lack of guidance they had.

Trying to deal with the broken heart she now had, days had been building up until the big event—her coronation. Ever since her return from Crait, her mother announced her "stepping down from the crown" and "handing it over". Dayanna knew she was more than ready for the role, but with the pain in her chest, it was hard to keep focus for even five minutes without thinking about Kylo.

"You are going to do great." Kaia spoke.

"You look absolutely stunning." Kara smiled, looking at Dayanna through the vanity's mirror.

"Thank you." She softly spoke, a small smile on her lips as she sat there. Her golden gown had been one of the most extravagant and elegant dresses she had ever worn. It was truly fit for a queen. So long that it dragged, the off the shoulders design that hugged her upper arms. The delicate sleeves that had designs sewn into them. It was beautiful and Dayanna felt just that in it. But something felt off... something was missing.

Now looking into the three large mirrors, eyeing the gown that hugged her torso and loosened at the waist, her rings that decorated her fingers and freshly painted nails, to her loosely styled hair, she took in a deep breath. "Absolutely beautiful, my sunshine."

Seeing her mother through the mirror, Dayanna turned to face her just enough, a small smile grazing her lips. "Thank you."

"You look far better than I did at my coronation... and that says something." Her mother teased. "My golden hair always made me look absolutely magnificent in everything I wore. But, you? Words can't possibly describe. You are truly a work of art, my dear. Inside and out." Selene smiled. "I know I say this quite often but I can never say it enough—I am so proud of you."

"Thank you, mother." Dayanna nodded with a bigger smile. "I learn from the best."

Taking in a deep breath and walking closer to Dayanna, she reached out and grabbed tightly onto her hands before looking into her daughters eyes. "I know how tough it has been for you these past months... but know this: wherever he is, he is proud of you, too." She nodded. "For all we know, he's watching over you like the wonderful guardian he was."