Chapter 2

Gigi's house was fantastic.  It had a circle drive with a gushing fountain right in the middle. The house itself was made of beautiful stone, huge glass windows, and was surrounded by large oaks and plush grass. Tatum leaped out of the car to get the bags while I went and knocked on the door. A butler I had never seen before opened it, but was soon pushed out the way by Gigi. "Diana, my sweet heart!" she gushed as I grinned. "Hey Gigi," I said as she hugged me. She smelled like flowers, and I calmed immediately. I was home.

                                                                                            ****

After a hearty dinner, I wished everyone good night and headed towards the sweeping stairways to my room. Once there, I closed my door and breathed a sigh. I looked across the wide room, noting the large bed and bookshelves covered with treasures. I walked over to one and picked up a photo. It was of our family trip to Sweden and Dad was posing with us, smiling. I felt my heart tug, and I laid the picture face down on the shelf. No use dredging up the past. I walked quickly over to my bathroom door and took a shower, washing away the memories. Finally in my fleece pj's and with wet hair,  I went over to my balcony doors. Opening them revealed a city of stars. Past the line of trees you could make out the city housing, with the castle glowing over it all. I breathed in the warm air and looked down. Gigi had a huge greenhouse, that housed the many plants and animals of her travels. I could just make out her figure through the glass and leaves. Suddenly wanting her company, I fled my room, quietly rushing down the steps. I walked across the marbled floors, through the dimly lit grand rooms. It felt as all buildings do at this time of night; surreal and dream-like. Walking out the door to the outside, I followed the stone walk way towards the huge green house. 

                                                                         The rocks were cold on my bare feet and the metal handle to the glass building was cool to the touch. The door opened soundlessly, and I was instantly hit by the smell of exotic flowers. Walking the mossy path with leafy palms nearly covering the glass covered sky, I made it to the center. The wildlife opened up to reveal a circular pond filled with lotus flowers and koi fish. Near the pond sat a bench where Gigi watched as the koi swam, feeding them breadcrumbs. Gigi looked younger here, lit only by the string lights hung in the trees and the moon over head. It looked as if she was in a forest of stars. Her dark braided hair had streaks of silver and her serene face had the hint of a smile. She was in her blue nightgown, and as I stepped into the clearing, she patted the spot beside her. I walked over and sat, looking at the pond with her. 

After a moment, she spoke. "I've always loved the koi. So calming. Beautiful because of their spots." She paused, glancing over at me. "I have missed your company Diana. Why must you always go off?" I frowned, looking away. "I know it is hard for you dear," she said, wrapping a comforting arm around me, "but running away isn't moving on." I was saved from answering by Tate, who came out of the trees holding Marcie, my cat. She was purring as Tatum scratched her chin. "So, what are we talking about?" he asked, coming to sit in front of me. Laying his head back, he added, "Is it about Di being in the selection?" Gigi's eyes widened and I looked at her, confused. "What do you mean?" I questioned. He sat back up and looked between Gigi and I alarmed. "You haven't told her yet?" he asked. Gigi shook her head. I stared at her. "What does he mean? Gigi?" She sighed. "I might have signed you up... for the ... um... Selection," she mumbled, looking bashful. Meanwhile, I looked like a fish, with my mouth opening and closing. The Selection. Oh no.