Chapter 3

I did not sleep. I laid in bed until the sun peaked through my windows, with Marcie purring right next to my head. As comforting as she was, sleep still alluded me. I dimly remember getting my computer and doing research around one am. I logged onto my browser and searched up 'Prince Milo,' and 'the Selection.' Gigi wasn't lying. Apparently while I was away, the whole country of Illéa was gushing over the new Selection. And there, number 27, was my name in bold, Diana Pinway. Next to it was a snapshot of my face from a photo we sent Gigi a few months ago. I looked regal, since the photo was of me in a gown, heading to a ball with a wealthy family that mother was friends with. I grimaced. I cannot believe Gigi would do this! And without my permission! It was very out of character for her.

 I remember shutting off my computer and pushing it aside. The hours came and went. Once I saw the hint of sun, I was up, brushing out my tangled hair and washing my face. Patting my skin dry, I looked in the mirror. I had bags under my eyes and I looked a little green. Suddenly, a knock came at the door. I knew who it was before he even entered the room. Tatum was still in his pj's and had rumpled hair. He yawned and came over to where I was standing in front of the mirror. "I'm sorry sis," he said, leaning his head on my shoulder. "It's okay, I'm glad you told me," I said honestly. Walking over to my bed, we laid down, shoulder to shoulder. After a time, he mumbled, "Do you want to do it? Like if you had a choice to put your name in, would you?" I thought for a moment. 

"Probably not. I have no interest in dating or in being royalty."

"You don't have to go you know."

"Yeah, but I think I will, just to appease Gigi," I said, sighing. I heard the tinkling bell that alerted everyone to breakfast and we sat up. Heading downstairs, I smelt the food before I was even near the kitchen. Entering the dining room, I saw the table already had the plates out. I sat on the left side of the table and Tate sat next to me. We talked about nothing too important, like how school was going, and how was Tate's new girlfriend, and so on until Mom and Gigi walked in, looking refreshed and elegant. Finally, breakfast was served.