Chapter 8

"Mistress? You have a visitor."

I arose, slowly sliding out from underneath the covers. Peeking open my eyes, I shook away the grogginess and tried my best to focus on Maid 27's face. I raised an eyebrow when I found her face. What?

"Major Hart is here to take you to training."

Immediately, I shot to attention. Flustered, I gave a quick glare at Maid 27, an shot annoyance for her not waking me up and warning me earlier.

Rolling clear out of my bed, I almost fell to the floor in panic, my metal limbs making an inelegant thump on the tiles. I tried to walk quickly to my wardrobe, only to trip twice in the process, my legs still asleep (well, at least one. The other one was stiff and the combination of the two together wasn't a great result).

Ripping open the door, I lunged for my black stealth suit and changed within what felt like 10 seconds flat.

All the time unaware that Maid 27 had been watching me struggle with my life.

Once I was ready and awake, I let Maid 27 lead me out the door — the features of her face turning into one of sheepishness. This made me feel self-conscious about myself, wondering wha I must've looked like to have been so flustered.

You need to calm down.

Right, this was nothing. I shouldn't have been so rushed.

But I couldn't help but blame it on some sort of unidentified instinct.

"Is she ready?" He asked, looking to Maid 27 for some sort of translation.

I nodded the same time she said, "Yes, sir."

When I looked towards her again, I noticed how her head was bowed deeply again, her hands once again closed so tightly around each other it looked as if she was trying to squeeze hard enough to break her own bones. He voice had also gone several notches softer, quieter — politer.

Fear radiated off her so easily, it was almost tangible, and almost mad eye feel sorry for her.

Almost.

⚙ ⚙ ⚙

"Today the Lieutenant-General is off on official business and therefore I will be training you and taking over for him today." Major Hart said, his eyes studying her from head to toe, the dagger resting in his hand so easily, it looked as if he were holding some sort of spoon instead of a deadly knife.

"Let's start then. You may begin to attack."

I sped forwards as soon as the words left his mouth, hoping to catch him off-guard. The similar dagger that I held in my hands was pointed forwards with intent to harm, even though I knew he was my instructor. As I fought, I realised that this was slightly easier than last time, as of hone I had faced the Lieutenant - General. There was something about that man that told me that he wasn't one to hold back.

Instead this time, with the Major, it was more of a easy spar, rather than a full - out 'fight-to-the-death' situation.

Even so, the Major was obviously holding back. This made me feel slightly insulted, but at the same time, I smiled. This was far more relaxing, and I felt like as if I was actually picking up on things. I felt that this was more... enjoyable, and it left me wanting more.

There was also less pressure, this time, as there was no timer, and no audience, except the shy little Maid 27 silently observing us from the sidelines.

I pushed, slightly harder, and made more of an effort to figure out where to attack, starting to get slightly sick of being on the edge, wavering between timid attacks and defences.