Chapter 17

Major Hart sat in his study, staring at the papers in front of him. His fingers twitched, an old habit that he had never quite managed to drop. His eyes scanned through the information, hoping desperately that he had skipped over something earlier — something that he hadn't noticed before. But, there was nothing. His ability to scavenge small details and facts was left in shambles.

Name: Harper Coeur

Date of Birth: 7/2/3235 | Time: 0836 | Age: 19 | Place of Birth: Torenthis, Mirare | Birth Parents: Colin Coeur and Anya Coeur (Maiden Name: Elliott) | Siblings: None

Features: Caucasian | Eye Colour: Blue | Hair Colour: Brown | Blood Type: A+ | Current Height: 182 centimetres (5'9 ft)

Additional Statistics:

-Survivor of Sommet Bombings

-Surgical operations that resulted in muteness.

-52.8% Lustre | 11.1% Non - Reactant Iron

-Internal organs (heart, lungs, bones, veins, eyes & brain) are all supported with Lustre.

-External skin, and limbs (arm, hand, neck, thigh, waist, abdomen, chest, leg, foot) are also replaced with Iron and/or Lustre

-No known signs of Programming Errors

-First Prototype known to be promoted

No information about her past life. Nothing about who she was, what she did, her actions or even how she did in school. No records, and no backgrounds. Everything about this seemed suspicious, but there was nothing he could find that would ease that nagging, nothing to gather evidence on. All that the Major knew was that Lustre was a powerful metal, synthetic and invented a long time ago. It was resistant to rusting, it was light and it was resistant to bullets, which made it a popular material in warfare. But other than the fact that he was surprised the military had bothered to spend so much money on this experiment (Lustre was also expensive, due to its popularity), there was nothing for him to go on. Everything else, he had already known. Well, apart from the girl's name and the parts of her body that were metal.

Her report was also extremely vague, as if her history had been wiped clean. The only information that this file focused on was her basic identification, with facts on the result of the surgical process. Hart pushed down the annoyance that was boiling. There was no time for anger. Not now.

I still need to dig deeper. There is something more to this. I know it.

⚙ ⚙ ⚙

Maid 27 was already beginning to worry. Even though she tried her very hardest not to let it show, she couldn't help but feel concern for the girl who lost her memories. For the girl who didn't know who she was meant to be, even though she acted like she did. As she walked down the corridor that had the Senior Staff's dorms, her thoughts spiralled in her mind.

Pro 1 was a woman stripped of her memories and forced into becoming a weapon of the military, without ever been given the chance to choose. She didn't deserve this, none of them did. Maid 27 clenched the side of her foods tray until her knuckles turned white. Damn Rowan. Why did he have to tell her? Why did he have to remind her? She squeezed her eyes shut and took in a deep breath, then opened them again. She didn't want to distance herself from her mistress, she didn't want her to be alone, and Etta could see the sadness clouding her each time. She sighed and kept herself moving, letting herself flow into the stream of people around her. She couldn't dwell on situations that did not concern her. The corridors and hallways were always quite crowded, and fast moving. It was like an overflowing rive of people, maids rushing to get to destinations in time, servants racing to finish requested tasks, and even commanding officers rushing to report a fault or breach in ranks.