Chapter 1 : Meetings

"When we are children we seldom think of the future. This innocence leaves us free to enjoy ourselves as few adults can. The day we fret about the future is the day we leave our childhood behind."

-Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind

The bond between Legolas and Arielle was evident when they first met at the young age of forty years. Arielle looked up to the king and watched as his saddened face changed into a small smile when his eyes met her mother's. Arielle looked to her mother and saw the same sadness in her eyes as they both embraced each other.

Legolas, who had been shy and was hidding behind his father, peeked his head out from behind his father to look upon the visitors that his father had told him were his friends. His eyes met with the little elleth across from him; she was curiously watching their parent's exchange while twirling her golden hair.

Her gaze fell to his and she smiled as she gave him a small wave.

Legolas quickly scurried back behind his father so that all that Arielle could see of him was his little hand wrapped around his father's leg. Arielle frowned and silently walked up to the prince so that his back was facing towards her.

Legolas once again moved away from his hiding spot to see if the young elleth was still there, but she was no longer there. He felt a light tap on his shoulder and his blue eyes widened when they met her green ones.

"You wanna play?" Arielle whispered to legolas.

Legolas was about to comply, but then he remembered a conversation between two palace guards. The one had said to the other; 'Elleths are dangerous, they get their grip on you and suddenly they consume your life."

Now little Legolas really didn't fully understand what these guards were talking about or if it was a joke. But this conversation had led him to shake his head vigorously and run away from a pouting Arielle.

Arielle ran off after him in pursuit and tried to catch up. Thranduil and Emerelda laughed lightly as a paranoid Legolas and an exasperated Arielle ran around them. Arielle soon gave up trying to catch the spritely prince and sat down in the grass with a defeated 'humph' . Her small fingers grabbed a few daisies that were sprouting abundantly by the palace and began weaving a daisy chain.

Legolas stopped and looked back, only to see that he was no longer being chased and that Arielle was now sitting in the grass preoccupied with something in her hands.

"What are you doing?" Legolas asked curiously as he sat gingerly across from her.

Arielle, a bit suprised of the prince's presence, smiled up at him. " A daisey chain." She said as she finished and slipped it over his head. The chain, which was too big to sit atop his head, fell around his neck. " Want me to teach you?"

Legolas smiled back up at her with his blue eyes twinkling. He was currently thinking that elleths weren't too bad and actually quite fun.

The halls were soon filled with the sound of laughter that had been absent for quite to long. Many of the servants, however were very confused on the appereances of daisey chains popping out of nowhere around the castle.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sixty years later the two elves had grown inseparable and had grown to know each other better than the back of their own hands. They often spoke of the future, going on adventures and where they longed to go. But at this moment, they were lying in the forest and watching the golden and auburn leaves fall from the trees. Sometimes they would fall together and join each other in an elegant dance to the forest ground.