Snow & Strangers

It is deep winter and snow is falling from the sky making the world oddly silent. It is as if the sky would put the world to bed covering it with cold white sheets just to wake it up again in spring. It's my favourite season.

I might be a ghoul but I still appreciate the peace of the cold season. Not that I had a problem with being a ghoul or eating humans for the sake of my surviving. There is simply more to a ghouls personality than just animalic eating.

Even though most humans don't want to see that. Understandable since we eat them.

~~~

Working at the Anteiku a ghoul-based café in the 20th ward luckily allowed me to meet alot of other ghouls. And I can pay my bills. My shift started an hour ago and it was rather quiet. The ghouls who come in early in the morning to fetch a coffee-to-go before going to their regular work (where the coffee mostly sucks) have already been here. Now there are just some people sitting around. Mostly ghouls but of course there could be humans too so we still have to be careful.

I'm wiping the bar as I hear the bell above the door ring meaning a new customer has arrived. I wait until I hear them sitting down then I look up to see who our new customer is. And if I know them or not.

They are a male. And what a male. He has short black hair and is wearing a suit. Nice. Even though, of course, wearing a suit could mean that he is working for the CCG. Would be an uncommon yet very dangerous customer. He could be a lawyer or businessman too obviously but we got to be careful. The suit looks great on him nonetheless.

He looks through the menu but doesn't seem to really read it. So maybe he just wants a coffee. Which would be good because than he is more likely to be a ghoul.

I grab my notebook where I write the orders down and go to our newest customer.

"Hello, and welcome to the Anteiku. Would you like to order already?", I say with a smile. Not just because that is my job. I seldom see new people here that are also that handsome. And possibly ghouls.

"Hello, I would like to have a coffee", he replies with an emotionless expression on his face. I now see he has blue eyes and a pretty face. He is pale and has a good bonestructure.

"With sugar or milk?", I internally hope he declines.

"No, just black please", YES.

"Of course, you will have it in no time", I go back to the bar and already plan our first date. Okay, that's a bit dramatic.

When I have his coffee ready I go to his table and place it in front of him with a swift hand movement. Im good at my job.

"Enjoy your coffee."

"Thank you."

I turn away from the handsome stranger and smile to myself as I go back to the bar.