Humans & Hopelessness

Ghouls are officially not a part of society but we live amongst humans anyways. We have to cover up that we are different but if you have patience and selfcontrol you cam live with humans without them knowing.

It gets weird when you have a human partner because you live very close with them so you'll eventually have to tell them. I wouldn't recommend being together with a human but the heart wants what it wants. You just gotta value if it's worth it.

~

"So, Koutarou, tell me more about yourself. What do you like to do in your free time?", I ask him. We have been talking for a while and it's going pretty well.

"I like to exercise because it helps me with my job. But I also like to eat baked goods. The sweeter the better. Sounds contradicting and it probably is. But yeah...", he smiles slightly and eats a bite of his cake. I take a sip of my coffee.

"I get that. One can't always be healthy, am I right? But what do you do for a living if you need to be in good shape. Are you a bodybuilder or something?"

What a stupid question if he wears suits all the time he won't be a bodybuilder. Then he woukd wear a tank top or whatever. Even now he is wearing a button up and jeans with suit shoes. He seems to be a rather formal guy. And his work is too probably.

"I'm an investigator at the CCG. I need a good physical condition in case I need to chase and fight ghouls which is a big part of my job. Everything okay?"

I didn't even hear his explanations I zoned out at the words 'investigator' and 'CCG'. God, my worst fear has become true. I can't believe it. But I knew it was a possibility. I should have been prepared. How could I've been prepared? Prepared for this? I hoped. So much. But no, he's an investigator. God.

Wait, didn't he ask if I was okay?

"Yeah I'm fine. Just a little dizzy, nothing to worry about", I say and smile to hopefully convince him that I'm okay even though I'm not. Investigator at the CCG.

This is the first and last date then. There's no way I could keep this up. Well enjoy it while it lasts. And don't eat him. He would fight back and you don't know his strength.

"Alright. Will you tell me about yourself then. What do you do when you don't work at this café?"

I hunt and kill humans. Shut up.

"I love to go for a walk and read. Pretty boring, huh?", I can't come up with anything special right now I'm still stressed out by his words. I take the last sip of my coffee trying not to let my hand shake. You don't usually drink coffee with an investigator as a ghoul.

"Not at all, decent hobbies I would say", he replies to my weak answer. What if I just act really boring then he won't want to see me again anyways. Whatever I'll just awkwardly tell him I don't really want to see him again. Or I just don't give him my number and never see him again. He knows where you work. Well I'll just tell him to not bother me again.

Good plan.

"What kind of books do you like to read?", there goes the next question, I just hope he doesn't ask my favourite food. Would make things a bit awkward. Wait, what do I like to read? I don't even read that much.

"Erm... I like thrillers", at least I didn't say YA-Novels.

"That's cool, when I get the chance to read sometimes I prefer thrillers too", great we have something in common. When is this date over? Don't you have an appointment at seven o'clock? No, what are you talking... OH. No, that's unfair.

We've been here for a while though, maybe we should call it quits. He already ate his cake and we both drank our coffees. And I want to get out of here before anything goes wrong. I look at my watch even though I'm facing the clock on the wall of the coffee shop. 

"Oh, it's that late already I gotta go!", I say dramatically and call for a waiter. Amon looks a bit confused about my sudden eagerness to go but then also looks at his watch and takes out his wallet, probably agreeing that it's late,  "You're right we've been here for a while."

The waiter from whom we ordered comes and says, "You paying seperate or...?" I won't let him pay for me we will never meet up again anyways. "Seperate I say before he can reply.

"Okay, for the lady it's one black coffee, makes xxx Yen. For the sir it's one black coffee too and a piece of chocolate cake, makes xxx Yen."

We each hand him the money and the waiter leaves. We stand up and face each other.