Coffee & Conversations

The coffee in the Anteiku was the best there was. At least in Tokyo. Why? Simply because it was led by ghouls. The only human food ghouls can consume with joy is coffee. So they tried they're best at making excellent coffee.

Unfortunately the café is also visited by humans so ghouls have to hide even there. But the employees are all ghouls, so there is some safety.

~

While serving other customers and chatting with my colleagues I here and then glance at the man in the corner by whom I am very infatuated. Maybe I should ask him out? Or he would ask me out?

That would be perfect. When I give him his bill he asks if I would like to drink a coffee with him at some point...

But that's ridiculous. He saw me in total for like two minutes. He probably didn't even look at me twice. He might even consider waiters as underneath him when he wears a suit to work.

Why is he even here so late? Shouldn't he be at work already? Does he have a late shift today? At the CCG?

I sigh and try to forget this possibility. But I have to consider it! But I don't want to. Why can't ghouls just live normally? Because we eat humans, that's why. If cows were smart enough to think so complex they wouldn't want to live with humans either. And if they were more than the humans.

Also a reason we are surpressed. We just aren't enough in count. But enough of that the pretty hopefully not at the CCG working man wants to pay as it seems. Should I ask him out or not?

Suck it, if he's an investigator or whatever I can still turn him down. I'll ask him. Maybe he declines anyway. I haven't thought about smelling him though. Sounds weird but ghouls smell different than humans. Why haven't I thought about that? My nose isn't that good that's probably why. But let's take a smell I'd say.

I walk to him and he says, "I'd like to pay, please."

"Of course", I reply, "one black coffee, makes xxx Yen. And maybe we could go out some time?" Doesn't smell very ghoulish to me.

He was just taking the money out of his pocket when he froze, completely taken aback by my question. He looks at me with a surprised look on his face and I can almost see his mind racing as he considers what to say. I hope he doesn't think I'm weird because I ask him out after serving him once. Maybe he thinks I stalk him? And now I have a chance to ask him out? Just to clarify, I don't. He gets a hold of his expression again and replies with an emotionless face (does he ever show emotion on purpose?),"Yes, I'd love to. Do you have anything specific in mind?"

Oh, he is so polite! But wait, do I have something in mind? I didn't make a plan actually. When I thought of a date with him I actually pictured us drinking coffee together so that's a plan. And then I don't have to make to much excuses considering food. Yes, that is good. But where? At the Anteiku? No, that would be weird since I work here anyway. But if he's a ghoul why not? But if he's not? How about that café a few streets from here? It is nice and the coffee is good, not as good as here but still pretty good. Yes.

Thinking that through took me about five seconds and now I respond to him, "How about we drink coffee at the Modern? Do you know this café?"

"Yes, I do. How about we meet Friday at six o'clock in the afternoon? Is that okay for you?"

"Yes, that's a good time. See you then I guess", I smile and want to take the dishes away already when he says,"Wait, you forget to take the money"

"Oh, sh.. I'm sorry", I say and take the money he gives me. I want to hand him his change already but he declines, "Keep the change."

"Thank you very much", I smile and take the dishes away this time without interruption. Before I turn my back on him completely I see how he smiles a little.

I look forward to Friday. He's probably human though.