Chapter Four

Sam ended the call and slipped his phone into his pocket. Turning back to the mismatched group he smiled, sitting himself back in his seat.

"Joanne is asleep and Nate has a handle on things at the hotel so we're good here."

Nikki bit her lip, her jealousy making her desperate to know more about Josh's new Charge. It was an ugly emotion and she knew it, it was also ridiculous to feel such animosity against a woman who had absolutely no control over the situation, but she couldn't stop the hostility from pouring out. Who was this new person Josh was bound to? What did she look like? Although Nikki had caught a glimpse of her in the alleyway she'd been a little preoccupied with the Carrada demon to pay much attention.

But more importantly, and the question that niggled away incessantly at the back of her brain, how did Josh feel about Joanne?What made it worse was knowing that with one innocent brush of her hand, she could find out everything she wanted to know. 

Nikki was sorely tempted, but just because she was a demon didn't mean she had to act like one. She could just take the information and no one would be any the wiser, however, the humanity that had survived her death simply wouldn't allow it. Still, the need to know more was sufforcating.

"What's she like?"

Josh tensed as she ran her fingers over his arm.

"She's," he exhaled and twisted to look at Nikki, "she's scared and lonely and she lacks any fight at all. She didn't question what we told her, just accepted it ... I don't know, something doesn't feel right about her whole situation. She's just so," he shrugged, "compliant."

Nikki's eyes followed the cracks in the floor. As much as she wanted to know about Joanne, it was painful listening to Josh. She sighed deeply and swallowed down the melancholy attempting to over power her.

Leaning forward, Sam rested his forearms on his thighs. "So what have you been doing for the last two years?" His question was aimed at Nikki but it was Ezekius who answered.

"We have been searching for answers, culling demons and trying to survive," he rasped, bristling slightly at the hard tone Sam had used. "The usual for fugitive demons. You?"

Nikki couldn't stop her smile as the demon retorted sarcastically.

Sam lifted his eyebrows and attempted to stare Ezekius down. "Sarcasm from a demon? That's new."

"Not at all, Nikki's grasp of sarcasm has been apparent since day one, or did you fail to notice?"

As much as the exchange amused her, Nikki knew she needed to intervene. With a grin she reached forward and tapped Sam's shoulder.  As he turned his attention to her she shook her head, the humour in her eyes softening his hard features as he let go of his scowl.

"Seriously, searching for what answers?"

Holding out her hand she connected with the two Guardians and cleared her mind. Hesitantly she filled them in.

"It took some time for me to accept what had happened. The battle, my death, losing you." Nikki sighed heavily. "I struggled to accept what I was and when Ezekius explained that I had to drink," she shifted uncomfortably, "that I had to drink what I do in order to survive, I refused. I couldn't. I ...  I starved myself to the point of death."

Josh gripped her hand tightly but said nothing. Although her words clearly pained him, he nodded his encouragement for her to continue.

"Eventually hunger got the better of me. I was hallucinating and delirious when Ezekius brought in a Cústos. Deviously he slit its wrist and, well, it wasn't a pleasant experience and it made me try, I mean. This is hard to admit but I couldn't think clearly through the depression and I--"