Chapter Thirteen

The group gathered in the library, deciding it better not to move Nikki until she had healed. Ezekius had quickly detached the skull of the demon Nikki had fed from, allowing it to fade to nothing before Joanne witnessed any of the grisly evidence.

Laying as still as a corpse, Nikki listened to the conversation with growing anxiousness. Sam was insisting everyone return to his home but that was the last place on earth Nikki wanted to be. Too many memories lingered there, not to mention Jake and Roxy.

She'd realised the night of the battle that Jake didn't like her. She knew he'd seen what was to come, she even suspected he'd confided in Roxy and yet the two of them had chosen to keep quiet. Nikki could just imagine the reception she'd receive now that she was a fully-fledged demon. 

Over in the corner, Josh was softly explaining to Joanne that her old life was over and that she was stuck with him now. It was pretty much the same conversation he'd had with Nikki on the beach but with less scepticism and doubt. Nikki heard as Joanne questioned him, following in her own footsteps, but the way she went about it conveyed a sense of acceptance and she hadn't seemed overly upset.

Nikki weighed up what she knew about Josh's new charge. She was quiet, she didn't put up much of a fight over anything and she seemed perpetually frightened. The fear Nikki could understand but something about the way she reacted to everything else was off. She willingly accepted the crazy situation with too much blind trust and it unnerved Nikki. Surely no one was that naive?

But then, Nikki conceded, she did have her supernatural connection with Josh and not everyone was as stubborn or obstinate as she was.

"It's perfectly safe, no one will turn on either of you, they all know you and when we explain-"

Sam was cut short by the huff that flowed from Ezekius. "Whilst you hear my words, you are not listening to what I'm saying, Guardian. We are not welcome there. It would cause much disruption not only in your house but in the passing of our own kind. It would be far too easy for them to detect our presence. We have told you before, your home is being watched, you are being watched. It is unsafe for all of you if we were to--"

"Fine, fine! Then what do you suggest?" Sam's arms folded defensively across his chest.

"We suggest you return and wait for us to contact you. We must play this carefully, Samuel, keep our cards close to our chests if we wish to remain alive."

Nikki was both amused and despaired by his reply. The fact that a demon, centuries old, had picked up such human metaphors, amused her no end but his closing statement doused her mirth. Although what he'd said was nothing but true, sometimes she wished he had just a little more tact.

"You underestimate me," Ezekius commented reproachfully. "I have tact, but I am also a master of manipulation. If Joanne is afraid, she is likely to push against us thus reinforcing our desire to separate momentarily from this group. They have no real allegiances to us so if a choice is to be made, they will have to side with her. Besides, isn't this what you want?" 

Nikki couldn't answer, she knew he was right and had she had been thinking clearly, she would have done the same.

Josh cleared his throat. "Nikki, I need to keep her safe but I can't abandon you again. Tell me what you're planning, please and maybe we can compromise."

Her lips twitched and a genuine smile pulled her mouth upwards.

"I love you," he whispered. Opening her eyes, she looked into his adoring gaze. "I always have and I always will."

With a quick flex of her stomach to check of her wound, Nikki was satisfied she was repaired enough to move. It would smart for a few hours more but then all traces of it would be gone. She pulled herself up and stared out at the five faces watching her.