Chapter Sixteen

In the wilderness of the garden, Josh watched with his mouth hanging open as the Hunter he now knew to be Elizabeth was bathed in a stunning aquamarine glow. With her body held tightly in Sam's arms she threw her head back and opened her mouth, but instead of the shriek Josh had expected, a fresh stream of the enchanting light poured out.

It was beautiful. Just in front of him Nate stopped, rooted to the spot as he too watched the spectacle. Side by side they stood in silence and witnessed the spectacle that was Elizabeth's second death. As the light grew stronger, Sam appeared to hold her tighter and Josh could see the tears as they streamed down his face. He realised they were intruding on a moment not meant for them so he gripped Nate hard by the shoulder and encouraged him away.

"Leave him."

"But--"

"Leave him, he needs time and space." Josh spoke with authority, daring the younger man to challenge him. Wisely, Nate decided to comply.

"What happened? Why didn't it attack him?"

Glancing over his shoulder, Josh checked that they were far enough away not to be heard before relaying the events that had just passed. As they entered the remains of the building he spoke quietly, halting Nate before he could push into the library.

"I'm only telling you this because I think you have a right to know. Sam's likely to be in one hell of a shitty mood for the foreseeable future and you need to know that it's not personal. But also, you're gonna want to help him-- " He licked his lips and sighed, "because of the connection you have you're going to have this desire to snap him out of this, try to suppress it. He won't thank you for it, quite the opposite and then he'll hate himself even more for taking it out on you."

Nate watched Josh carefully. "You seem to be talking from experience."

Josh tugged his hand through his hair and nodded. "Yeah, you could say that." He assessed the boy with a new respect. He'd never particularly liked him but it was more what he represented than the person he was. Nate had never done anything to directly warrant the animosity and contempt Josh had for him, he'd just been an easy outlet for the ugly emotions losing Nikki had stirred up. Perhaps he'd been too hard on him.

Inside the library, Joanne hovered near to where Ezekius was tending to Nikki. Josh's eyes sought out her delicate frame and fiery hair the second the door opened. It was ingrained, there was nothing he could do to stop it and he hated that he was no longer in full control of his actions. As soon as he had the assurance he needed - that Joanne was safe - he strode to Nikki.

"How you doing?"

Her colour was still a pallid gray and she struggled to keep her eyes open.

"She needs more blood."

Lowering his voice, Josh inched closer to Ezekius, amazing even himself at how comfortable he felt in such close proximity to him. "So go get more!"

The demon sighed with impatience. "There isn't time. I don't think you quite understand the severity of her injuries. These creatures do not just shred and tear, they absorb the life force of their victims. She hasn't just lost blood, she's lost a part of her soul. This is why their injuries are so hard to heal from, why the scars on her face and body are so prominent ... Josh, I don't think she will recover."

Josh froze. She'd been okay, she'd said so herself outside. She had promised. "No!"

Dropping his head, Ezekius allowed himself the smallest of sorrowful smiles.  "She's angry with me, she doesn't approve of my telling you this."

Josh could feel his absent heart thudding phantomlike in his chest as the prospect of losing her again sank in. How could he go on knowing that just when he'd found her she'd died all over again. What cruel beings watched over him, offering him a chance at happiness before mercilessly tearing it from him?  "There has to be something we can do, we can't just let her die..."