Chapter Seventeen

The familiar tingle pulsed around Nikki's body, electrifying her nerve endings. It didn't matter that her fire had destroyed most of the room she was in, or that she was now as naked as the day she was born. All that mattered was the life coursing through her veins.

Something about Sam's blood had refuelled her power, a power that had seriously waned since she'd been reborn as a demon. Though she'd still had her gift, the flame had never burned as bright as it had at Vidaru and she had missed it. But more than that. It was like she'd travelled back in time, back to that fateful night. Her eyesight was incredible, she could see through the gloom across the room to make out the charred title of the books that sat precariously on their shelf. And her speed - flitting about the room she emitted a carefree laugh. Even Josh would be hard pressed to keep up with her now. She felt magnificent and invincible.

The door to the library opened and she whirled around, coming face to face with Josh. His mouth dropped as he stared at her.

"Nikki, your scars, they're ... Gone."

She grinned. She knew, she'd felt them knit together in the heat. Every imperfection she'd earned was now gone. Her body had returned to the flawless state it had been in when she'd first turned into a full demon.

Cocking her eyebrow, she licked her lips, "I'm naked!" She smirked, enjoying the look on his face as he drank in her appearance. Glancing to the floor where his jacket had been, he scowled at the smouldering mess that lay there.

"I have nothing to ... "

She looked to what had once been his jacket, "Oh, sorry about that."

He shrugged off his shock and regained his composure. Holding up his index finger, he ducked around the door, muttering something about decency and clothes. Unable to suppress the excitement that ran through her, Nikki chuckled. Suddenly every care she'd been carrying had melted away leaving her weightless and euphoric.

"Ezekius has gone to get you something to wear, in the mean time, here." He handed her Zeke's cloak. Wrinkling her nose she slipped it on. It wasn't exactly comfortable against her skin but at least it covered her.

"Okay, you can come in now."

Sam practically tore the door off the hinges to get to her. Running forward he wrapped his arms around her and lifted her into his embrace.

"Did you see her? Wasn't she beautiful?"

Puzzled, Nikki shot Josh a look of concern. "Sam?"

He set her down, his face as excited as his words, coming back in to her view.

"Sam, what happened?"

"You didn't see her? The Hunter--"

"See?" Nikki cried, "Sam, I had her arm through my chest. Through. My. Chest!"

Sam waved her away, dismissing her words. "That was before she realised who we were."

"Enough!" Josh roared, rubbing the bridge of his nose wearily. "Everyone, next door, now. We need to sit down and discuss what exactly happened here and where we go next."

Sam nodded enthusiastically. "Yes, yes we do." Grabbing Josh by the shoulder he smiled widely. "Buckle up boy, it's gonna get bumpy."

"What the hell just happened?" Josh muttered.

Sam left the room, leaving Nikki momentarily alone with Josh. Sliding over to him, she looked up through her lashes. "What ever it was, it's just changed things." Rolling up on tiptoes she tilted her head back and kissed Josh demurely. "Drastically."