Chapter Seven

"Hey kid," Nat says, poking her head around the lab door and looking in. "You wanna pop down with me to see Loki? See what his play is?"

"Sure," I say, standing up. "See you later guys.

"Bye Sophie," Bruce says, looking up from his screen.

"Yeah see you later, kid," Stark says, not looking up.

"You looked like you were having so much fun," Nat says with a smile as we walk out together. I give her a grin. 

"Nothing better than a bit of reading!" I reply with a laugh. "Physics is my favourite science!" 

Nat chuckles. "Yeah, I could never see the appeal myself. Definitely more of the hands-on type."

"Physics is just so boring," I agree. "Biology and chemistry is practical, physics is just theory and stargazing." I study Nat as we walk. "But you didn't take me out to talk about science. What do you need?"

"I know your skill set involves deducing people, telling whether they're lying or what they're saying is true. I need you to do the same with Loki."

"You know he's the God of Mischief and Lies right?" I reply, an eyebrow raised. 

"Which is why we can't use a normal lie detector," she acknowledges. "You, however, I would call an experienced liar. You're incredibly clever, and perceptive, plus you've been under his control so you would have had a link to his mind." We come to a door in the basement of the hellicarrier and Nat types in a code. The door opens silently and we slink into the containment centre that Loki is being held as quiet as cats. 

Loki walks back and forth inside his glass cell, but as we approach he seems to sense us and stops. "There's not many people that can sneak up on me." He turns to look at us. 

"But you figured we'd come.

"After. After whatever tortures Fury can concoct, you would appear as a friend, as a balm. And I would cooperate."

"I wanna know what you've done to Agent Barton," Nat says.

"I'd say I've expanded his mind."

"And once you've won. Once you're king of the mountain. What happens to his mind?" 

Loki looks at her curiously. "Is this love, Agent Romanoff?

"Love is for children. I owe him a debt."

Loki sits down. "Tell me."

Nat pulls up a chair and sits down in front of him while I stand behind. It's odd how much he's changed since the clifftop. All the vulnerability and regret is now gone and replaced with a toughened front. "Before I worked for SHIELD," Nat starts, "I uh...well, I made a name for myself. I have a very specific skill set. I didn't care who I used it for, or on. I got on SHIELD's radar in a bad way. Agent Barton was sent to kill me, he made a different call."

"And what will you do if I vow to spare him?"

"Not let you out," Nat replies and Loki laughs.

"Ah, no. But I like this. Your world in the balance, and you bargain for one man?"

"Regimes fall every day. I tend not to weep over that, I'm Russian... or was."

"What is it you want?"

"It's really not that complicated," Nat sighs. "I've got red in my ledger, I'd like to wipe it out."

"Can you?" Loki asks. "Can you wipe out that much red?" He means it as a stab at Nat's past, but it also seems to me like he's asking for advice. "Drakov's daughter? São Paulo? The hospital fire? Barton told me everything. Your ledger is dripping, it's gushing red, and you think saving a man no more virtuous than yourself will change anything?" Loki stands, getting angry. "This is the basest sentimentality. This is a child at prayer... PATHETIC! You lie and kill in the service of liars and killers. You pretend to be separate, to have your own code, something that makes up for the horrors. But they are a part of you, and they will never go away!" Loki suddenly slams his cell, making us both flinch. "I won't touch Barton. Not until I make him kill you! Slowly. Intimately. In every way he knows you fear! And then he'll wake just long enough to see his good work, and when he screams, I'll split his skull! This is my bargain, you mewling quim!"