Chapter Twelve

The first thing we see of Manhatttan is the huge gap in the sky where hundreds and thousands of mechanised fighters descend from the portal and into the city.

As they fly, they drop bombs which blow up cars and set shop fronts ablaze. One hits a ten-story building and an explosion rips out the windows along the top corner. Flame and stone rain down, causing a domino effect of the surrounding buildings.

On the ground, the army is working with the police to fight against the increasing force but they're losing drastically. They're overpowered and underarmed.

"Stark, we're heading north east," Nat says over comms and I see Stark in his gold and red suit flying as a speck in the distance.

"What, did you stop for drive-thru?" he asks and I grin. "Swing up park, I'm gonna lay 'em out for you."

As he circles his tower, I see Thor and Loki fighting on Stark's balcony. Loki is certainly a lot stronger than he looks.

Stark swoops down onto the street, causing one of the creatures to crash. They follow him as he flies back up, bringing it up so it sees us. Nat pulls out a machine gun and fires at the creature. It falls out the sky and I let out a small sigh of relief. At least they're mortal.

Barton clocks Thor and Loki fighting on top of Stark Tower. "Yeah," he grins turning the jet towards the Tower.

"See them," Nat voices and Barton aims our guns at Loki. I'm in the awkward position now where I don't want him to kill Loki, but I also don't want to stop him from hurting him. A blast from our guns is unlikely to be lethal to him anyway, it might just be enough to release him.

Just before I shout my warning, Loki aims his sceptre at us, sending a blast of energy towards us.

Thor tackles Loki down hard but it's too late and the Quinjet catches alight.

"Son of a bitch!" Barton cries, maneuvering us sideways. "Hold tight people, I'm bringing her down." We spin slowly out of the sky and slam onto the street.

"Everyone okay?" Cap asks and we all nod. "Good luck guys, see you when we win."

I smile as we unbuckle our seatbelts and run down the ramp. As we look around, assessing our first move, a deep, primal roar bellows out.

I look up in horror at what can only be described as a mechanised whale flies through the portal carrying hundreds more soliders who jump our and cling to buildings as the whale-like creature flies through the streets. They slide to the ground and begin firing at the civilians.

"Stark, are you seeing this?" Cap asks in disbelief over comms.

"I'm seeing," Stark replies, "still working on believing. Where's Banner? Has he shown up yet?"

"Banner?" Cap asks, confused. Bruce isn't going to want to come anywhere near here, is he?

"Just keep me posted," Stark says before coming off comms.

I follow the others as I plan the evacuation of the city. It's not going to be easy, we need to isolate the attack to just a few streets. That way we minimise damage and casulties and maximise effectiveness.

I look up again and see Loki riding on some kind of mechanised chariot, leading his army down the street. He aims his sceptre down and sets a chain of explosions, smashing up cars and hurling people backwards.

I look over the bridge we stand on and notice crowd of people running, terrified from Loki.

"Those people need assistance down there," Cap says, pointing at them. A group of the creatures make their way towards us.