Chapter Eleven

Rodgers sends me up to get Nat as he and Stark suit up.

"Time to go," I say and Nat looks up, unprepared.

"Go where?"

"I'll tell you on the way," I dismiss. "We don't have much time. Can you fly one of those jets?"

Barton appears out of the bathroom and looks at me. "I can."

I check quickly with Nat that he's alright to and she nods. "You got a suit?" I grin.

"Yeah."

"Then suit up, we've got to get going."

As I wait for them to get ready, I rebind my ankle so it's supported a little more.

"Sorry we didn't get time to train quickly before leaving," Nat says, attaching some kind of gauntlet of bullets around her wrist. "You good to sit in on this one?"

"I'll help where I can," I nod. "Even if it's just clearing the area." Nat returns the nod.

"Just don't die on me, yeah?"

"Not planning on it!" I grin.

Barton swings a quiver of arrows onto his back.

"You ladies finished getting ready yet?" he asks, eyebrow raises mischievously. Nat sends him a look before we follow him out.

Rodgers waits just outside the door leading into the quinjets and gives us a quick nod as we arrive before heading inside.

As we head towards one of the jets, a young pilot working on one of the planes gives us a double take before standing in our way.

"You are not authorized to be here..." he protests.

"Son..." Cap says, looking down at him, "just don't."

We walk past him and he tries hopelessly to get us to stop but eventually gives up.

Barton drops into the cockpit and fires up the engines, forcing the crew outside to open the roof so we can get out.

"Do we have a strategy?" I ask, as we lift up out of the hellicarier and start flying forwards.

"I'm on it," Cap says, taking a moment. "Agent Barton, we need you up high. Find a vantage point and take out as many of whatever the hell Loki has as you can."

"Sounds good to me," Barton nods.

"Agent Romanoff stay on ground, single combat." Nat nods her understanding.

"And Miss Holmes we need you coordinating with the authorities to get civilians away safely."

"Got it," I nod.

Yes, I would like to be more involved than that, but I do not overestimate my abilities. They are by far the better fighters and have at least some inkling to what they'll be up against whereas I'm going in blind.

"With all due respect, Captain," Barton says, looking back. "I have my own agenda. Can I request we swing past Loki so I can throw a few punches."

"He's all yours, Agent Barton," Cap nods. "How far are we?"

"Fifteen minutes tops," Barton replies and Cap nods grimly.

"Let's hope Stark can hold them off for that long."