Chapter Eight

Thor takes the fight elsewhere and after a while I try to sit up, cringing in pain. As I sit for a few minutes, recovering my breath and assess my damage. Nothing that can't be fixed.

An overwhelming urge to cry takes over and I sob quietly in relief, rocking backwards and forwards. I just want my dad.

A voice comes over my earpiece, crackled but still audible.

"It's Barton," Fury says over comms. "He took out our systems. He's headed for the detention level. Does anybody copy?"

Nobody responds. Everyone must already be out, either dead or dealing with the Hulk. I'm the only one who can do this.

I take a moment to gather myself before touching my earpiece. "This is Sophia Holmes. I copy." I muster up the last of my strength and spring up, starting to run towards Loki's cell.

"I'll meet you down there, kiddo," Nat says over comms. "Damn am I glad go hear your voice." I grin and keep running, spurred onwards.

***

As I run through the coriddors, I sense movement around the corner on the next platform runway so slow down to a creep. Moving just as quietly as I did earlier to suprise Loki, I turn the corner and walk quietly along the track, following the athletic blonde that must be my target.

He senses me behind him and in a lightning fast move nocks an arrow, spins and points it at me.

"Who the hell are you?"

"A friend," I reassure. "I worked with Loki as well."

"Worked?" he emphasises and I nod.

"You can get free as well," I say, stepping forward slowly. "Put down the bow and I'll help you." He considers this and begins to lower it before spinning around. I look over his shoulder and see Nat standing at the other end. Barton growls and Nat rushes forward and a hand-to-hand fight ensues. Barton drops his bow as Nat ducks underneath him but he pulls out a knife. She kicks him hard in the face and he jerks back in pain before taking a swing at her but she grabs his arm and twists. He writhes in pain and uses his other hand to start slashing at Nat with the knife. She dodges every move but he has her held tight. As he presses the knife down, she pushes it away and bites his wrist making him drop the knife in surprise. She takes advantage of this and jumps, wrapping her legs around his neck before flipping him over.

"He needs some kind of blunt force to the head to snap him out of it," I call. Nat nods, then smashes his head into the rail pipes beside us. "Yep, that'll do it," I say, eyes raised as he slides down onto the floor. His eyes open and change to a more natural blue as he looks at Nat with recognition, the spell now gone.

"Natasha..." he groans. "Natasha." Nat hits him once more for good measure before grinning up at me.

"You did good, kid," she says. "Now let's get you up to the medic bay."