4. First Date

Patti sets four scripts on the ground: two for a ten-minute play called "The Bad News," which she seems really excited about; and two more for a ten-minute play called "First Date," which she seems less excited about based on the way she tosses them in the center of the circle we're sitting in at the back of the stage.

"These are our two choices. For the ten-minute plays, Mrs. Permala passes out scripts randomly to the troupe leaders."

Which I guess is Patti.

"And then we can decide which pairs do what. Now that you're here Janie, we can actually do the ones she chose for us. We were thinking she might have to find a three-person scene, and then we'd be the weird ones."

We're not already the weird ones?

"I think I have an idea of which one I want to be in," Patti says with a sneaky little grin.

"Well, you pick then," Thatcher tells her, "since you have a preference. I really don't care which one I'm doing."

Patti hems and haws for a solid minute as she looks over the scripts. In the meantime, I scan the other troupes for any other familiar faces. I recognize all the students on the stage, either from classes or from sophomore class events, but I haven't really had a conversation with any of them. They sit around laughing and talking as they plan their scenes, and I feel a strange ache in my stomach watching them. I can't quite put my finger on what the feeling is. Am I embarrassed for them for caring so much about a silly ten-minute play in their sophomore year theater class, or am I jealous I don't have the same connection with these people that they all clearly have with each other? I'm the outsider, and though I've always felt like I didn't fit in, being so shy, I've never gotten used to it. I don't think feeling misplaced and alone is something anyone gets used to.

"Okay, I know," Patti finally says, and I have to stop myself from actually saying "finally" out loud. It would be nice to laugh and talk with her like the other troupes do one of these days.

"What's the plan?" I ask. Thatcher gives me a sideways glance, the corner of his lip upturned in a little smile. "What?" I say.

He smirks and shakes his head. "Nothing."

Patti continues before I can respond at all. "So I think that me and Timothy should do 'The Bad News,' because I've always considered myself more of a dramatic actor, and because I haven't done a scene with only you in a while," she tells Moth.

"How did you do these two-person scenes last semester?" I ask.

"Paige Brewster moved," Thatcher tells me. "Her parents got divorced and then, like a week later, she was gone."

"We've been flying solo for a few months now," Moth says.

"Solo with three people?" I ask.

"Ha," he laughs, "Yeah, I guess so."

"Anyway," Patti continues, "that leaves 'First Date' to you and Janie," she tells Thatcher. "I figured since you're so experienced with acting, maybe you could kind of help her out too. Also, it's a comedy, so it will be a fun one to get you started with our troupe, Janie."

"Thanks," I say, though comedy has never been my strong suit. Sarcasm with those closest to me, yes, but comedy in general, no.

"So, if everyone is okay with the scenes, I say we break up and start planning them out. The sooner we get them blocked and memorized, the sooner we can make them amazing," Patti says.

"What does that mean, blocked?" I ask.

She takes a deep breath, probably in preparation to explain it all, but Thatcher stops her. "It's okay, I'll explain it all to her."