23. Approvals Week (Part One)

We have been rehearsing our one act all week, waiting for our turn to get Mrs. Permala's approval, and now on the last day of the school week, it's our turn.

Before approvals week started, Mrs. Permala told us about how she learned to go through this whole process the hard way. Apparently, she used to be less strict about which plays would be performed for the day time shows, and a group wrote their own play with tons of sex jokes in it that she didn't get during rehearsals. Then, when the group performed for the classes, the kids lost their minds and some of the younger teachers alerted the principals and Mrs. Permala why. After that, all of Mrs. Permala's rules changed.

You must use an already approved script included in the theater library, which is either already purchased or copyright free.

You must perform the one act in its entirety for Mrs. Permala the week of approvals, before any sets or costumes are made and stored in the back room, called the green room, where all of us will get ready on the days of our performances.

If your one act is not approved, you must scramble to get a second one act approved. Usually, the group will be so frustrated at this point, Patti tells us, that Mrs. Permala will actually just pick a new one act for them. "We don't want this to happen," Patti reminds us again and again throughout the week.

And as if this weren't enough stress for one week, Snowball is tomorrow. Mom took me to get a dress on Wednesday, and it was just another experience that made me happy I'm not talking to Gina anymore. Most girls shop for their school dance dresses at regular dress shops or the mall. Not in the Myers family. We went to Goodwill. "They always have dresses there," Mom explained in the parking lot, as I hid my face from anyone who might be driving down the road and laughing at me.

The thing is, kids at Riverside, rich or not, all act like they have money. This was especially important for Gina. A few weeks ago when she and I were still close, she had already purchased her dress from David's Bridal. She sent me tons of pictures of it from all different angles. It's black with sequins and a huge slit up the side. The top of it has a cut out for her cleavage to show through. She even scheduled appointments to get her hair dyed, cut, and styled before Snowball. All of that was done before she even had a date. As I think about it now, I am tempted to just cross the room and ask her how that whole date situation ended up going, but I know that wouldn't be good for me. At this point, thinking about talking to Gina or hanging out with Gina just feels like muscle memory. It still happens, because I'm used to it, but that doesn't mean I should. At least I can tell from afar that she's already had the cut and color hair appointment. Her hair is slightly shorter, cleaner, and now it is a rich shade of burgundy. It's slightly more natural looking, but still fake enough to know it's dyed.

By the end of the trip to Goodwill, I left with an older satin dress that goes up to my knees. It's bright yellow and doesn't have any sleeves. We got a sheer white shawl to go with it, since it'll be cold tomorrow. Mom says she'll do my hair. That's how we do things on our end of town.

Thinking about all of this—how the run through will go, how I will look for Snowball, how Moth's plan to create opportunities for me and Thatcher, all of it—and my entire body tightens into a bundle of nerves, just as Mrs. Permala calls us to the stage. It's time to see if we will be approved or if we will be screwed.

Mrs. Permala is up in her booth. The small theater is dark except for the stage and the lights in her booth, shining up from her control buttons and making her look like she's about to tell us a scary story around the campfire.

I remain off stage with Moth and Thatcher as Patti struts into the spotlight to introduce our group. "We are the Misfit Theater Company, and we have prepared the one act play entitled Separation Anxiety. Please enjoy."