33. Grant O'Reilly

Grant O'Reilly is here today. Grant O'Reilly is here today. Grant O'Reilly is here today!

Nothing feels real, or least, nothing that's part of our plan feels real. I run through it all in my mind:

First period is the assembly for the school when Grant O'Reilly will pretty much announce the fact that he will be here, up in Mrs. Permala's light booth and office with her while the one acts are performed for each of the remaining periods of the day. I don't think that's the only thing he's planning to talk about, but honestly, who knows. He's a celebrity, so he could pretty much just stand there and we'd all be in awe.

The misfits will be up first then with our one act version of Romeo and Juliet during second period, so after the assembly, I'll break away from Mr. Buford's class and go straight to the green room below the theater room seats. Hopefully I will run into Moth, Patti, or Thatcher to help sneak me in, but if not, I'll be very stealthy. That's as detailed as that part of the plan is. Then, we perform. My sewing teacher Mrs. Larkin doesn't make it a habit to take attendance, so hopefully she won't notice I'm absent from only her class. Again, that's the best we can do on that part of the plan. By the end of the period, hopefully I will be able to take a bow with my group, Grant O'Reilly will be so impressed that he invites us to be extras in A Call from Midnight, and no teachers or mothers of mine will be angry with me for performing.

Once we have finished, I'll race up to my third period class, apologizing for being late because my class was down watchingthe one act (and hopefully she won't catch me lying). Then, when my cheeks hit the seat, I'll let all the adrenaline leave my system, because I will have successfully finished my plan.

Hopefully.

As soon as the loudspeakers click with sound, even before Principal Howard has a chance to say anything, Layla slaps her hand on my desk. She's smiling this great big Miss America kind of smile at the intercom on the wall, so I know she didn't mean for her hand to startle me, or the people around us for that matter, but it makes such a sound that nearly everyone turns to look at her. "It's time," she whispers.

Principal Howard speaks: "Good morning Riverside High. We have a special assembly this morning with Riverside's own superstar Grant O'Reilly."

He pauses for our reactions, which is smart, because even with the door closed and even over the sounds of our own cheering, I can hear the excitement to have Grant O'Reilly back from the other rooms around us.

He starts again, "This is not an opportunity every high school in the country gets, so it's important that we behave in a manner that would encourage Mr. O'Reilly to come back and speak with us again. At this time, I'd like to invite class rooms on the first floor to take your seats in the auditorium."

"Alright then," Mr. Buford says, picking his keys up off his desk. "Leave your things here. Don't worry, I'll lock up. No one will steal your stuff."

Crap, I think. If I can't bring my binder with me, it will be left in here when we get back, and Mr. Buford will know that I slipped away. And he isn't cool like Mr. Taylor. Mr. Buford is a middle-aged, fun-sucker of a teacher.

The class is standing and beginning to line up at the door, and I will need to join them, like, right now. I could take my chances and try to bring my binder, or I could take the chance leaving it that Mr. Buford doesn't call the office about his missing student. I have one more option, though.

"Hey Layla," I whisper before she gets too far away from me.

She turns around, her eyebrows raised in anticipation.

"Could you grab my binder after the assembly?"

Her face pinches. "Why?"

"I can't come back to class right away."