21. A Girl Can Dream (Part One)

As soon as I'm home from school, I message Thatcher. I don't want to come across as too eager, but I still want to make sure I try to make plans to carpool to Patti's with him before it's too late.

Janie Myers: Since we're basically neighbors, wanna carpool to Patti's? (3:44pm)

He replies quickly.

Thatcher Gorsky: Yeah, sounds like a plan. I was going to drive over there. (3:45pm)

Janie Myers: You drive???? (3:45pm)

Thatcher Gorsky: Yeah... you didn't know that? Aren't you 16 too? When do you get your license?? (3:46pm)

I frown as I type.

Janie Myers: Yup, 16. Don't have my license yet, because my mom is terrified of me driving. She doesn't trust me on the road. (3:47pm)

Thatcher Gorsky: That sucks! My dad is the worst human, but I think that worked out for me on the driving front. I'm basically the Uber driver of the family. Any time my brothers need to go somewhere, I'm the guy. Dad's going out drinking? I drive. (3:48pm)

I don't really know what to type, because while his delivery was funny, it's not actually comical that he has to be the adult of the family. I decide not to touch the family stuff and just keep on with the playful vibe Thatcher's going with.

Janie Myers: So, what will I owe you for the ride to Patti's? (3:49pm)

Thatcher Gorsky: With the friend discount, it will come to $0 (3:49pm)

Then he sends a smiley face emoji, the one with the blushing cheeks.

Janie Myers: Awesome, because that's all I have. Pick me up at like 4:45? (3:50pm)

Thatcher Gorsky: That works, see you then. (3:50pm)

It's not until I'm on my way downstairs to work on my homework at the dining room table that it occurs to me Mom will never allow a 16-year-old boy to drive me to a friend's house. I've never had to ask, but I already hear her shrill voice in my mind, lecturing me on the dangers of teen driving. It'll be the same lecture I got on my 16th birthday when I had the audacity to ask when we would be going to get my permit.

"Hey Mom," I start as I walk into the kitchen.

"What do you want?" she asks. She knows my tones too well.

"Patti is having us over to rehearse and eat dinner at her place, right?"

"Right, that's fine. When do you want to leave?"

"Well, that's the thing. Thatcher actually has his license, and he—"

"—No."

"You didn't even let me finish."

"He offered to drive you? No. I don't trust teen drivers."

"I know, I know," I say after mouthing the words teen drivers along with her. "But he's really responsible. She doesn't live far either, it'll be just a five-minute drive."

"The answer is no."

"Please."

"Janie, I said no. Ask me again and you won't go at all."