Speeches and Boyfriends

By the time I arrive at the campus, I'm ten minutes early to my class. I lean against the brick exterior, taking a sip from my water bottle. I close my eyes, taking my first break of the day.

"Hey Abby!"

I open my eyes to find my best friends, Travis and Bella, walking towards me.

"Ready for speech?"

"Physically, yes. Mentally, no. I wish I just took that stupid dual enrollment class when I had the chance. I hate giving speeches in front of a bunch of strangers."

"At least Trav and I aren't strangers."

"Who are strangers?"

Travis rolls his eyes and Bella looks over at my approaching boyfriend, Jonathan Mathers.

"Just venting about speech class. Where are you off too?"

He shakes his head, kissing my forehead.

"Remember, negative feelings towards a class is never good. And I'm going to the science lab. I have Chemistry in a few minutes."

"Do you have a lab today?"

"Yes. We are dissecting a cat."

"Interesting."

Bella nudges me.

"Class is starting, Abby. Let's go."

I turn back to Jonathan, giving him a little hug. He doesn't like PDA.

"I'll see you later."

"Good luck on your speech. And remember, no negative feelings."

He walks away briskly. Travis decides to put his two cents into the situation.

"He's a dirt bag. You need to find someone better."

I slap his arm. He's not fazed.

"Just because he is the spitting image of what I like in a man, doesn't make him a dirt bag. You're just jealous."

I know my rant doesn't make sense, but I don't care. I'm too worked up about the entire speech thing.

"Let's just get to class before you two rip each other's heads off."