Kisses and Texts

Jonathan has his back to me as he discusses something with a classmate. To surprise him, I wrap my arms around him from the back, catching him off guard.

"Oh. Hello, Abigail."

He plucks me off of him, moving me to his side and putting his arm gently around me.

"Carlton, this is my girlfriend, Abigail Michaels. Abigail, this is my lab partner, Carlton Buchannan."

He extends his hand and I do the same, fully aware of how I am supposed to 'properly' greet all of Jonathan's friends.

"Pleased to meet you."

"Same extended to you."

His response isn't the same as everyone else's.

"How can I assist you today, Abigail?"

I turn back to my boyfriend, smiling.

"I just wanted to say hello and I miss you."

I kiss his cheek and his face turns bright red. He lowers his lips to my ear.

"We've discussed this. Not in public, Abigail."

"I'm sorry."

He nods before going back to his conversation about cat bones, completely ignoring me. I get completely fed up after a few moments. Finished with his behavior, I stalk off towards the campus store to get a Pure Leaf.

"Bad conversation with your boyfriend?"

Chase slows his pace down to match mine.

"No. A very good one actually."

He doesn't buy my crap.

"I know when I'm being lied to, but I will respect your privacy."

If only he bugged me a little more, like every annoying male book character out there. But no.

"Ready for the game tomorrow?"

"Yes. And I promise I won't eat or drink after midnight."

Just another one of the stupid rules he came up with yesterday. I mean, come on. A girl has to eat her weight in food or else she'll be mega-witch all day. That's how it is with me at least.

"One bathroom break as soon as you wake up?"

"Yes."

He smiles, opening the door to the campus store for me. The smell of new clothes, untouched books, and cheap snacks hits me. Chase leaves me as I weasel my way between display racks and shelves to the back cooler. My heart sinks. My favorite beverage is currently listed as 'out of stock' on its little price tag. I trudge back to the front of the store, searching for Chase. I spot him over in the book section. I wait patiently until he walks to the cash register.

Beep.

Money and words are exchanged before he finally exits the store with me.

"Didn't find what you wanted?"

"It's out of stock."

"What were you looking to buy?"

"Raspberry Pure Leaf."

He dishes out a massive helping of sarcasm in response.

"I'm so sorry to hear that you won't be able to fill up your bladder with iced tea the night before the big game."

I roll my eyes and punch his arm. He's really getting on my nerves for some reason.

"Be happy that I'm even participating in this contest with you."

Chase places his hands against his chest in mock shock.

"I'm hurt."

My phone vibrates in my pocket. I pull it out and there is one name on the screen.

Jonathan: I would like to speak with you. Please adjust your schedule to accommodate a meeting with me in front of the cafeteria in ten minutes.

I must give off an annoyed or disgusted expression because Chase delivers me a quizzical look.

"I have to go and meet my boyfriend."

He doesn't say anything as I rush away in the direction of the cafeteria.