15 | Q U A N D A R Y

________

Q U A N D A R Y 

(n.) a state of perplexity or uncertainty over what to do in a difficult situation.

________

"KAEL, I SWEAR if you're doing what I think you're doing I'm going to freaking kill you!"

"Listen, more people will get hurt the more we resist," Kael said while she led them down the stairs. "I have a plan."

"We surrender," Natasja concluded as they stood at the door. Right behind the brown oak were the french mob. What person in their right mind would surrender just like that?!

"No, I don't want to," Paris hissed. "God knows what they'll do to you and Bleu's family! We have to fight back!"

Kael gently and firmly held her upper arms and stared at her in the eyes. "They have Bleu's parents. They have us surrounded. They have weapons. They can shoot us as soon as we step off the porch. This is the safest choice we have."

"They have my what?" Bleu harshly whispered when she had overheard, her heart pounding.

Kael sighed and let go of Paris, her fists curling. She wouldn't look at Bleu. "Your parents went out for a stroll and I respected their wishes of having no one go with them." There was regret and anger in her tone. "Idiotic decision. Later the mob sent me a message." She pinched the bridge of her nose, not saying anymore.

"They told us to surrender or have everyone executed," Natasja continued. "These are professional assassins. They can make it look like we never even existed and the police wouldn't be able to smell a thing."

"I've failed you," Kael's fisted hand trembled in the soft light of their lobby. "I couldn't even do something so simple and basic and just do my job."

Paris shook her head. "Stop. They were the ones who didn't want protection tonight. You did what you could."

Natasja agreed and held her lover's hand, stroking the top of her hand with a thumb.

"Let's surrender, then," Bleu nodded. "As long as they don't hurt my parents." This was serious. Fear gripped her heart at what the future held. Oh God, please let my parents be ok.

A silent agreement took place between the four of them and taking a deep breath, Kael opened the door, raising both her hands up and the girls following suit.

"We surrender."

Immediately, hands grabbed their arms and Bleu yelped in pain.

"Hey!" Paris growled. "Don't hurt her. We're already surrendering, you asshole."

"Vous dites encore un mot, et vous allez le regrettez." The burly man sneered behind Paris. Say another word and you'll regret it.

Paris was just about to retort but the look Kael and Natasja were giving her made her keep her mouth clamped. They were surrounded by men with guns and it was a fight they would surely lose especially with Natasja and Kael cuffed.

Without another word, the darkly dressed men dragged them across their lawn and loaded them into black SUVs. Natasja and Bleu got placed inside one and Paris and Kael in the other. In the car, there were already two french men in suits and dark shades, guns in their hands lying calmly on their laps. They sat on either side of the girls, not speaking. And as soon as the girls were seated between them, they were blindfolded.