16 | R E B E L L I O U S

________

R E B E L L I O U S

(adj.) fighting against a government.

________

IT WAS LIKE a Hollywood awarding show; a long red carpet led into the palace while the paparazzi lined the sides. As different celebrities, monarchs, and leaders of different countries arrived, cameras would flash until it almost seemed like day time. The princess of Saudi Arabia arrived in a limo, sashaying down the carpet in her black dress. The Duke of Edinburgh also arrived, and so did the Prime Minister of Canada. The people stepping out into those camera views were not of the ordinary at all. And in their hands, were masks of different colors and style. When they reached the entrance and finished posing for the cameras, they slipped these masks on.

"A masquerade ball?" Bleu was intrigued. She looked down from the balcony as celebrities and renowned people stepped unto the carpet. "What kind of a ball is this exactly, Par? Why all these people?" She was stunned by the amount of detail on each of the dresses. It was obvious that so much money, time and effort were spent on those dresses. And most of them were only going to be worn tonight.

Paris shook her head from within the room as she too, took out two masks from within their boxes. "I have no idea, Bleu. I'm just trying to focus on the mission and get us back to normal." She handed a dark blue eye-mask to the blonde, and she put on her own white one. "Now let's go find that Count and get this over with." She held out a hand to Bleu. God, I hope my plan works and those three have worked something out.

The beautiful young woman in that midnight shimmery dress accepted her hand gently, carressing the top of her hand with a thumb. Underneath her mask, chrome blue eyes gleamed with determination and admiration for the brunette. She was amazed at how much Paris had changed. She used to be the shy, insecure girl she always protected and reassured. And now she's standing in front of her; tall, still beautiful and elegant, fighting for her loved ones and trying to save her country at such a young age.

"Let's party."

______

The air buzzed with conversation and  the soft music played by a small band of orchestra mingled with their words. Everyone was dressed well, in tuxedos and gowns. Some wore their masks, and others preferred to keep it off. When Paris and Bleu entered the room, a slight and brief hush fell over the crowd at the sight of the two mysterious figures at the top of the spiral staircase. As they descended, conversation ensued once again. Paris breathed a sigh of relief at that. She didn't like being the center of attention.

"I see Natasja." Bleu whispered in her ear and Paris nodded, turning her head in a subtle manner. The flaming red hair and the dress-clad curvaceous body was unmistakable. Beside her, Kael's vivid grey eyes were clear even through her mask. And at the corner of her eye, Bleu spotted a tall figure with perfectly styled white hair, without a doubt her dad. Which meant that her mom was also close by. She didn't turn to them or approach them in paranoia of some bad guy finding out they're connected to her. She wanted them as safe as possible.

Slowly, Paris and Bleu split and tried to look for their target mission.

"Where the fuck is that guy?" Bleu muttered under her breath after a few minutes of mingling and making small talk. All these celebrities talked about were their movies and upcoming projects that she had absolutely no interest in. The royalties weren't much better. Bleu was on the verge of giving up. Anyone of these powerful men could be Count Florence Ferrari.