Arthur's Story

More schoolwork! Still needs a title, but hasn't been (and may never be) edited.

           It was Christmastime in London, and the air thrummed with excited voices. Impatiently Arthur, the youngest son of Sir Ector and Lady Mabel, bounced on his toes to see above the ocean of heads.

          "Are we nearly there? Kay, are we nearly there?" He turned to his older brother expectantly, not seeing his parents in the crowd, and Kay grinned.

          "Nearly, little brother. Be patient."

          Despite his brother's admonishment, Arthur could not rest. "That's easy for you to say, Kay," he pointed out, straining on tiptoes once more. "You're tall!"

          It seemed as if the whole country had arrived for church! The ordinarily quiet courtyard rang with voices, and Arthur could barely move for fear of being trampled underfoot. The ground squelched underfoot, old and tired from the constant pressure of so many feet, but despite the nippy breeze, he was warm from head to toe. England had been without a king for many, many years, but Merlin the wizard had proclaimed that today, of all days, a means to find a new ruler would be provided. The world was alive with expectation.

~    .    ~    .    ~    .    ~    .    ~    .    ~    .    ~    .    ~    .    ~    .    ~    .    ~    .    ~    .    ~    .    ~    .    ~    .    ~    .    ~    . 

          As the Armstrong boys wove their way between the bustling bodies into the comforting embrace of the church, Arthur was struck with a sense of quiet wonder.

          Rich mahogany stretched high above even the tallest man's head as if grasping at the sky, and golden light streamed through the stained-glass windows. The faintest whisper echoed like the cry of a giant, and Arthur's mind turned to the Bible: 'For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open.'

          'Is this how God knows all?'  he wondered.

          Quietly, they took their seats, and the priest took his place before the congregation.

          As the sermon began, Arthur's mind wandered back to Merlin's revelation, and excitement crawled like a spider up his spine. He shifted impatiently on the uncomfortable wooden bench.

          Suddenly, a dazzling light streamed beneath the doors. Every face glowed. The sun seemed to dim, and Arthur frantically shielded his eyes.

          Then, as quickly as it had appeared, the light vanished.

          A stunned silence reigned throughout the building.

          "What was that?" Kay, whom nothing daunted, asked suddenly, and the world abruptly exploded in a flurry of noise. Arthur sat back on his bench, head pounding painfully. Snakes roiled in his gut, and he longed - yet dreaded - to investigate the source of the light. He didn't dare move.

          "Come, Arthur!" A strong hand squeezed his knee, and Arthur jumped. "Let's go see what it was!" Kay rose to his feet, and began weaving his way through the pews toward the door. Arthur felt a pang of envy for his brother's courage, and hastily scrambled upright.

          Other church-goers seemed to have had the same idea, and there was quite a crowd before the door when Arthur at last managed to squeeze his way through the bodies. With a resounding boom, Kay shoved the doors aside and marched out into the courtyard, followed by a stream of people.