Do you know what grief is?

26/03/18

Do you know what grief is? Grief is just like any other life-threatening wound. Grief is the hole in your heart where someone else should be. Sometimes the wound fills with saltwater until it overflows and floods from your eyes, and while it stings, it also heals. Sometimes it fills with a vile pus that spews from your mouth and heart like toxic waste.

Grief drives you mad while convincing you you're sane.

But sometimes, sometimes there's gentle acceptance.

And while you don't understand, you almost  understand; and you pick yourself up, you dust yourself off, and you keep going.

Because one day you'll meet again. One day you'll die, too, and you'll meet the Creator of the universe, the one who created everything and loved you  so damn much that he went and died  for you. And he'll take your hand, and he'll hug you close, and he'll wipe away every tear you've ever cried and he'll show you his own; he'll show you the scars in his heart, and he'll whisper in your ear, I — love — you.

One day you really will understand, and on that day it won't matter so much. Because they'll be there. And the Creator who loved you enough to die to save you will be there.

Because grief is a wound, and all wounds heal. Because even if you don't, he  understands.